Chapter 6

A few weeks passed, and I still didn't know what to do with the information. I was able to get back into the routine I'd had with Leland. I told him I wasn't having nightmares anymore, but I was constantly thinking about my late husband. I didn't understand why my ex would do something like that, especially when he'd moved on, had his own kids, got married. I couldn't stop dwelling on it and there was no way I was going to tell Leland that. It had been about four months since I first walked into Da Kine when I had the worst nightmare I'd ever had.

"ANNABELLA!" I heard Leland shout as cold water dumped onto my face. I shot up, soaked from head to toe. "You were screaming. And crying. Like your life depended on it." I just stared at him. "Anni..." he sighed.

"Lele?" I asked, shortening his name to get his attention.

"'Lele'?" He cocked one eyebrow.

"Is that not okay? Should I not call you that?"

"I think it's cute," he said. "What can Lele do for you?"

"I'm sorry I lied to you," I whispered. He took my face in his hands.

"Anni, it's okay. It's okay! It's alright babygirl."

"I don't want to change my name back. I like it," I stated.

"You don't have to," he said. I just stared up at him. "Let's get you back in bed."

"Leland, I'm soaked."

"Do you want me to get you a towel?"

"Let's take a shower," I suggested.

"Are you sure about that?" He asked me cautiously. I nodded.

I undressed in the bathroom, throwing my clothes on the floor. I got in and waited for Leland. As I was rinsing my hair, he opened the door.

"Are you gonna come in or are you just gonna stand there?"

"Are you sure about this, Annabelle?" It was the first time he'd used my full name in months.

"Leland, just get in. Please?" I heard him sigh and watched his shirt go above his head. When he opened the shower door, I just smiled. "Your chest is beautiful," I told him, admiring his abs.

"You're beautiful," he countered in a serious tone. I blushed.

"Can I ask you something?" he asked. I nodded.

"So, umm...how old are you?" Leland asked.

"I...I um..younger than you. Like, a lot younger than you."

"Anni, I've known you for three and a half months now and I still hardly know anything about you. Talk to me. Tell me about yourself."

"Leland, I am young enough to be your daughter."

"So, what? Sixteen, seventeen years younger than me?"

"Something like that..." I said.

"You know Beth is seventeen years younger than my dad, right?"

"Really?"

"Yeah. And they know you, they love you. You're practically part of the family now. So..."

"I'm twenty-six, Leland."

"And I'm forty-two."

"You are not!" I gasped.

He nodded. "True story."

"I just..."

"My son is only a couple years younger than you," he chuckled.