Chapter 10

Two weeks later, it happened. We were on the beach with the rest of the family. Leland and I had walked away from the rest to walk down the ocean. Somehow, I was still able to hide it from everyone. Flowy Hawaiian dresses helped out with that. As we were walking, Leland kneeled down to pick up a shell I saw.

"Leland, what is taking you so long?" I asked.

"Just a second, it slipped out of my hand."

"Leland!" Two seconds later, he had turned around and held out the most gorgeous ring I had ever seen.

"Annabelle Nicole, I know I've done so little in my life to deserve you, but-"

"Leland, you've done so much for me!"

"Will you let me finish?" we both laughed.

"I love you, Annabelle, and I promised forever to you and I meant it. Will you marry me?"

"Leland!" I screamed in delight. "I love you too!"

"So is that a yes?"

"Yes!"

He stood and put the ring on my finger. We walked back up by the family. They all heard and watched, so we didn't have to share. As we all walked back to the house we had rented, Dog made a comment.

"You know, now that you're officially and legally gonna be a Chapman, you have to join the family business."

I laughed lightheartedly. "I don't know about that. I don't really feel like chasing a guy around for blocks."

"Why's that?" Leland asked me.

"Baby, you know. It's not safe."

"So what, you don't think what I do is important?"

"I didn't say that baby, I-"

"Why? Why would you tell me now, of all nights, that you don't like what I do?"

"I didn't say I didn't like it, Leland, I said it's dangerous. And honestly, I don't think you should do it anymore, either."

"So why, then, Anni? Why won't you come out with us? Why would you want me to quit the job I've been doing almost my entire life?" he stormed off.

"Because I don't want our daughter bounty hunting!" I shouted after him. Dog and Duane Lee stopped dead in their tracks. Leland whipped around.

"I'm sorry, what?" he said.

"I said," I nearly spat at him, "I don't want you doing this anymore because I don't want this damn baby to be put in that kind of danger – and I don't want to have to worry about whether or not her father is coming home."

Leland broke into a smile, as did Dog and Beth. Duane Lee and Dakota looked confused. I looked around from face to face before Leland ran to me, picked me up, and spun me around. It was at that moment I realized what I had just said. Despite my previously held anger, I laughed.

"We're having a baby?" Leland held my face in his palm as he pulled me in close.

"We're having a baby girl," I smiled at him. The hot tears previously held in my eyes now sprinkled down my cheeks.

"We're having a BABY!" Leland shouted before pulling me into him and kissing me hard.

For a moment, everyone in the room clapped.

"Well, ACTUALLY..." Lyssa started. Everyone looked at her, probably expecting her to announce she too was pregnant. I started laughing uncontrollably. Lyssa laughed then too and everyone else looked back and forth between us, utterly confused. Finally, I caught my breath and wrapped my arms around Leland's neck.

"We're having a baby boy," I stated simply.

"But I thought you just said it was a girl," he said, now more confused.

"It is," Lyssa said.

Leland looked from her back to me. "So we're having a girl?"

I couldn't help but let out a little chuckle. "And a boy," I said. Leland picked me up, wrapped my legs around his back, nearly ran over to the wall and pushed me up against it, kissing me with every nerve in his body.

"I fucking love you," he said after he finally pulled away.

"My babies are having twins!" Beth said excitedly.

"WE'RE HAVING TWINS!!!!!!!" Leland shouted, still holding me against the wall.

"Congrats, son. Annabelle." We looked up at Dog. He was checking his phone. "We'll have a big dinner this weekend. But we need to get in on this lead. Like now," Dog urged. Lyssa and Beth laughed.

"I'll go, let them stay here and catch up," Lyssa said.

"I need Leland," Dog said flatly.

"No you don't, Dad, you need another driver so you don't have to ride with Mom, but you're gonna suck it up and do it anyway. Let's go," Cecily stated matter-of-factly walking past Dog.

"Alright, Big Daddy, let's go. Let them have their fun," Beth said. Dog slunk away after her and Duane Lee, who mumbled a quick "congrats brah" to Leland before running off.

I looked back Leland. "I love you, too, Lele."He smiled and kissed me again.