Chapter 3

"Ok Greg, what apartment are you guys in?" She asks, not having hung up on the drive over to their apartment.

"Uh 3B, I think."

"Ok, can you go check for me?"

"Yeah." He says, and then she can hear him putting the phone down.

"Yeah it's 3B." He says into the phone.

"Alright, well I'm almost there, how is Jay doing?"

"He's the same, he's really cold, and he keeps vomiting."

"Ok I'm coming up Greg, can you make sure the door's open please?" She says, as she parks her car, and takes her keys out of the ignition, and shoving them in her pocket as she closes and locks the doors. Then she enters the building quickly. She decides to take the stairs, not wanting to wait for the elevator.

"Erin?" A short, thin guy with brown hair, and big bright blue eyes says as she gets to the third floor.

"Yeah, Greg, where is he?"

"In the, in the bathroom." Greg says nervously.

"Hey Jay." She says cautiously as she enters the small, dimly lit bathroom. She squats down next to him, as he vomits next to the toilet.

"He's not overdosing, he's showing signs of alcohol poisoning." She thinks to herself, feeling his cold, clammy skin, as she turns him onto his side so he won't choke on his own vomit.

"Can you get me a blanket for him?" She asks, and he nods, and leaves. He comes back, and hands her a red fleece blanket. She wraps the soft material around Jay's shivering body.

"How long has he been like this?" She asks next.

"He started stumbling around, and just before I called, he came in here, and collapsed, and started puking all over." Greg says

"Well I have to call an ambulance."

"What? No, I called you to avoid that." Greg yells as he shakes his head vigorously.

"Greg, if I don't get him to a hospital, he could die, and I know you don't want that otherwise you wouldn't have called."

"He's like a brother to me, the only family I have."

"And I don't want you to lose him, so I'm going to call an ambulance, ok?" She says, and asks, and Greg nods. She pulls out her phone, and calls for an ambulance.

"When did he start showing these symptoms?" The female paramedic asks them as soon as they walk into the apartment and they start to load him onto the gurney.

"Uh about a half hour ago." Erin says, looking at Jay before looking over at Mouse.

"And how much alcohol has he consumed?"

"I don't know." Greg says quietly.

"Can you give me an estimate?" The blonde then asks.

"maybe 2 six packs of beer and 2 bottles of whiskey" Mouse answers as they get Jay to the ambulance.

"Has he eaten anything?" The male paramedic then asks, and Mouse shakes his.

"Not that I've seen." He says quietly.

"I'm going to meet you at the hospital." Erin says as they finish getting Jay in. Mouse nods, but doesn't take his eyes off of his best friend. They intubate Jay, and start him on intravenous fluids on the drive to the hospital. Jay starts seizing a couple minutes into the drive, and Mouse scoots back, and puts his head in his hands, and unconsciously rocks. It's all a blur to him, as the paramedics continue to ask questions, and inform him of what they're doing, but he doesn't hear them.