Chapter 7

"Uh... Uh... This is -" I stutter. What the hell IS going on? "Oh Nick? He's just a close friend who I haven't seen in AGES!" She was still clinging on to my neck, her thin pale arms wrapped around my neck almost hugging me from the side, almost. She felt comforting, and warm, but at the same time she felt as cold as the snow in the winter.

"Oh. Well then, I'm Ashley his GIRLFRIEND."

"Oh, hi Ashley. Im Stella. Stella Green. Nice to meet you." She let go of one hand and held it out for Ashley to shake. Tension rose out of thin air, swallowing all of us up, deep into silence.

"Could you please let go of my BOYFRIEND as we are on a date, and I'd like to carry on." Ashley said sternly with the same smile the she gives her step mom. A fake smile.

"Oh. Sorry." She let go of me, pulling the comfort with her. I shivered, even though it was summer.

Ashley and I carry on walking through the street, the tension gone, her happy, silky voice trailing through the night, we walk past the lake, not noticing the movement through the calm water, or seeing a head bob down under the water.

* * *

Beep Beep Beep

I wake up, dazed by the sunlight pouring into my room. It is 8:15am. Shoot! I'm going to be late for school. I pull the blanket off of me and quickly hop into the shower. Jets of cold water pour onto my body.

"Nick!... Nick! You're going to be late! Hurry up!" My sister calls from the top of the stairs. I hop out, drying my body and hair. I chuck on Skinny jeans, a shirt, and a hoodie. I run down the stairs and pour Corn Flakes into a bowl with two spoons if sugar and some milk. I warm up in the microwave while unpacking the dishwasher.

"Come on. Come on." My sister says. "How was your sleep?"

"It was alright" I reply, taking my cereal out of the microwave.

"Why are you wearing skinnies when you're going to change out of them for the game?" My sister asks.

"Wait. What's today?" I ask.

"Saturday you doofus" Abbie says with a smile.

Shoot! It's Saturday, why the hell did I think I had school?

I run back up the stairs and change into track pants. I run down and grab my boots and uniform and chuck them in my bag. I grab my shoes and run to the lounge to put my shoes on.

"Why you home so early?" I ask Abbie across the room.

"Penelope and her family are going to visit family friends."

"Oh, are you going to be ok home alone?" I ask.

"Yea, mom and dad should be home soon." She says.

"Ok bye, have fun on your own." I say with a smirk and a wink.