chapter two

His kiss had left a burning sensation on her forehead. The girl had never dated. Never, not once in her life. She knew that love was temporary, in all situations. Whether it be with people, animals, inanimate objects. She'd lost her faith in love from a very young age, being the witness to many endless battles of screaming back and forth. A match that lasted her entire childhood, Father vs Mother. There were playbacks. They were all downloaded and saved in her memory, like the storage space was used to document how love truly was just another thing that caused people so much pain.

Aerin looked over to her side, watching as a man she'd known to be her brother's friend, has a secret life of some sort, and has held her hostage for a short two minute walk. On the bright side, she did obtain shelter from the downpour. Mark takes his phone out, sending a text. Within a few seconds, he receives a reply. The screen shifts from a conversation, to a GPS. Mark had sent a message to Jackson to open the garage door in five minutes. The streets were fairly empty, and Mark used this to his advantage, practically zooming through every lane.

"Those guards.. are my father's security guards." He said, turning on the windshield once the rain had grown stronger. "Is your dad some sort of mafia?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows as she looked out the window, watching as she travelled past every single stop her usual bus would pause at, waiting for passengers to board before the vehicle could carry on with its journey. She felt like a cheetah, running through a large field. "No. But he is one of the most successful businessmen around today. His inherited my Grandmother's business." He explained, letting out a sigh as the pads of his fingers tapped on the steering wheel when they'd arrived at a stoplight.

"You're caught in this trap with me, Aera." He said, shaking his head as the car took off once again. "It's Aerin. Tell me, what's this trap you're speaking of?" She asked. Aerin was confused as to how much confident oozed out from the male, that he didn't even have the audacity to ask if she was willing to. Though some part of her knew that he himself didn't have much of a choice. "They've got their eyes on you now, too. My grandmother is setting me up with a complete stranger, so that she'll be sure that I don't end up singlehandedly bring the business forward. Only for it to be left without anyone to be passed down to."

From his sentence, she guessed that the male had no intention of falling in love either. At least she knew they had something in common. The concealed love-bites behind his ears were a clear factor that showed how he too had his rendezvous despite his fame around here. "But you don't want the business." Aerin guessed, furrowing her eyebrows. "Not at all. I love music. I truly do. If i don't find a fiancée within twenty days.. I'm losing my shot at keeping this business alive, for the rest of the Tuan bloodline." She lets out a soft chuckle.

"Speaking of yourself like you're of royal descent. Get over yourself, asshole." She spat, rolling her eyes as she crossed her arms once they were near the house. "I'll give you a million dollars in cash. For three months, be my fiancée." He said finally as they began to slowly approach the garage door, waiting for it to open. "Three months?!" She screeched, watching him, wide eyed. "My grandmother's not getting any younger.. she's expected to.." He droned on before he fell silent.

And for the first time, Mark seemed more human than she could ever imagine from what she'd seen for the past few hours of knowing him. She knew that she was in need of the money. This money could be used to save for her future. She could write a book. Something she'd always wanted to do. She took one final glance at Mark before letting out a sigh.

"You've got a deal, Mark."