chapter six

It was as if, by some miracle, she'd momentarily forgot that this deal concerned people outside of the loop. Meaning Mark's family, and her own. She was only thinking of benefitting from it, all on her own accord. Seeing how she obliged so easily with the offer, she could finally see how desperate she was for the money. In her eyes, she was no better than her biological mother. She found the tears in her eyes to fall down her cheeks almost immediately. Mrs Tuan, being the woman with a heart of gold keeps her arms around Aerin, as if comforting her. Unknowingly, they were crying about two separate things. One was happy that her son was finally tying the knot with somebody he truly loved. While the other had come to realise the severity of the situation. Aerin was afraid, and this was no longer something she could hide, in comparison to how she was so accustomed to doing so.

Soon enough, the dress was put on for awhile, her measurements being retaken before the stylists took note of what the women preferred. She hadn't envisioned this, not at all. She wondered how long they could last. It was odd, seeing how things slowly unfolded before her eyes. And before she knew it, she was back in her regular clothes, seated on the black couch in Mark's room. In comparison to the other room, it was darker. The room had scent that consisted a mixture of vanilla and musk. An aroma that was surprisingly pleasant to Aerin's senses.

"Mark. Are we really doing this?" She spoke finally, holding a red throw pillow in her lap, balling her fists as tears threatened to spill out of the tear ducts of her eyes almost immediately. "Don't you think i feel bad about this too?" He asked, as if testing the waters of whether or not the lady he was about to marry even thought of his as a human, even if the wedding would soon come to an end. "Can't you find someone you truly love?" She muttered under her breath.

But little did she know, she was exactly who the male had envisioned. They'd met way before Jackson began his career as an idol. But she seemed to have little memories from back then. When they'd first moved to South Korea, like Mark did. The boys were all from the same school. He was a senior, who focused on his studies while also taking short glimpses around to take in his surroundings.

She was your typical asian student. With grades that surely wouldn't disappoint even the strictest of parents. But what he found more interesting was the fact that she never strayed away from her true identity. She'd sit on the stairs that was mainly used for fire escape routes, where the stairway would often echo the minute a sound was made. Mark would sit on another level, often alone. And during these times, he'd listen to her sing her sad songs.

He recognised how she wanted to be a lyricist. She always did have a beautiful talent. One she would never come to admit in front of anybody. Even her own brother. That's what he loved. How they were so similar, yet painfully different.

======================================

time skip after three months

Just like that, his promise ended. And they were back to their regular lives. Except for the fact that now, the two of them had to live with the burden of the public knowing who they were. Aerin grew to be more successful than she had intended. Her blog skyrocketing before she actually got into her brother's entertainment agency as a soloist.

And now, the usual set up in front of her wasn't a cart full of books. She would allow her fingertips to graze the black piano in front of her slowly and gently, pressing on the white keys as she stepped on the foot pedals. Her music echoed throughout the hall as she sang into a mic. Her performances would be followed by applause and an excited emcee's lines that were scripted by the writers of the award shows. This was her reality. What once seemed unreachable became real in a glimpse of an eye.

And all Mark could do, was watch as someone he once had within his reach, sang on stage. The camera would constantly pan over to him, as he tried his best to hide his truly hurting expression. Seeing how he'd let go of someone who meant a lot to him. Way more than he could possibly put to words. Not that he never tried.

It was the night before the deal ended. The pair were on the rooftop of one of the wings of the Tuan Household. There was a mat laid out with candles and pillows. Petals even. With glasses of wine and an array of alcohol by their side. Where they drank their worries and sorrow away with one another. That very night, Mark let out his confession to the lady who he assumed was already asleep as she laid her head on a pillow without speaking a word. But little did he know, the woman knew more than she could possibly admit.

And as her response, she wrote music. Music that portrayed her feelings so accurately. Dangerously accurately at that.

As she got off stage, her heel touching the floor, she looked up to meet the eyes of those she loved. Mark Tuan Yi En. The man she spent the past three months with. Holding hands, kissing, hugging. The affection seemed normal to them. So much that they'd forgotten that the deal was a deal in the first place. They began to celebrate the milestones in their relationship. And this broke them down even more once the three months was up.

"Hi." He breathed out, as he slid his hands into the pockets of his black jeans. She straightened out her white dress, clearing her throat. "I.." She began, keeping her eyes away from his own, focusing on the skin between his brows or his nose, anywhere else but his eyes. "That song.. was about me. Wasn't it?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows. She almost wanted to pretend to be surprised before furiously denying it to follow with whines, as she usually would. But she couldn't bring herself to lie to him. "I heard everything that night, Mark." She said briefly.

The boys crowded forward after she spoke that final sentence. Her brother realised that they'd been talking, mouthing an apology. "It's been awhile." Jaebum said, sparing her a smile. She choked up immediately, tears filling her eyes. Aside from Mark, she'd grown attached to the boys as well. Avoiding them shortly after the deal had been broken off hurt her just as much. "Good luck. You'll all do great, as usual." She quickly walked away, rushing to her dressing room as she ignored the calls of her name. She closed the door behind her, sliding down the door as she refused to allow any of the staff members inside.

"Aerin Wang.. You've fallen for him. Way too hard, at that."