Chapter 8: Isobel. Part II.

Dark Side.

Chapter 8: Isobel. Part II. 

As Cass suspected, and by suspected she means knew, Isobel wants the device, just like John, which means they are taking a very old plan out of the very dusty shelf. She doesn't complain, pretends to be just as shocked as everyone else, just as concerned. In reality, she's jumping in almost joy. Tweedledee and Tweedledum are taking out the tomb vampires for real, and she and her new friends will continue to live life to the fullest.

Except Damon and Stefan are not cooperating, and Elena is too heartbroken over Isobel's coldness to behave as mediator. Not to mention the fact that Damon's snide comment has earned her nothing but suspicion from everyone but Bonnie and Caroline, the only ones in the dark about what's really happening. She's this close to throwing a little tantrum and pulling one of her old moves. She could so easily steal the device from Damon and give it to Isobel, wait until she and John killed all the vampires and then kill them, leaving all knots nicely tied. Except stealing the device would mean losing Damon and Stefan forever.

So, when a frantic Elena runs towards her with scared tears shining in her eyes, claiming that Isobel has kidnapped Jeremy and they all have to come up with a plan to get him back, it takes a lot for Cass to not smile. Damon will be handing the device now whether he wants to or not.

"Where's the device?" Bonnie asks, worry tainting her voice.

They are all in Alaric's empty classroom, trying to come up with a way to save Jeremy's life. The blinds are halfway down, showering the room in half shadows and soft platinum sunlight.

"Damon has it." Stefan explains to Bonnie. "He's going to be difficult to reason with."

Cassandra scoffs, leaning back on her seat.

"We'll go to him!" Elena insists, almost desperate. Pausing on her pacing across the length of the blackboard, she turns in place, looking at Cassandra with glimmering brown eyes. "Cass will talk to him." she adds, begging.

Cassandra blinks, not having seen this turn of events. Why would she be the one to ask Damon for the device? What even makes Elena think Damon would willingly hand the device to her? They've been arguing since the day she came back.

"What?" Cass frowns. "There's no way Damon's giving me anything, Lena. He doesn't trust me." Elena's face falls, probably when she realizes that Cassandra is completely right. "You should talk to him."

Elena nods, agreeing. She begins pacing the length of the blackboard again, nearly running into Alaric's wooden swivelling chair twice, arms crossed. Stefan shakes his head, face turned to stone.

"He won't hand it over if it's dangerous to vampires." Stefan reminds everyone.

"What if it isn't?" Elena asks suddenly.

"No." Cassandra denies before Bonnie can get any ideas.

There's a tense moment of silence. Elena halts on her step, turning to look at her with a judging grimace. They don't get it. This plan has to happen! It's imperative! It'll probably end up saving Elena's life, even.

"What?" Bonnie asks, shocked.

"Listen, Isobel is working with Katherine, right?" Cassandra shrugs. "Which means we"—she points at the four of them.—"are all safe." She looks at them, waiting for them to understand. Stefan is frowning at her, and Elena is angry. Bonnie seems to be the only one beginning to get it. "The tomb vampires need to go, they just do. This is the way to get this done."