leave | 12

Chapter 12:
Leave

"I got issues, with trusting you"
-Olivia O'Brien (Trust Issues)

Jack twirled the little girl around in circles, her giggles filling up her small bedroom. Zach just watched with a large smile on his face. Jack and Alyssa both seemed so alive whenever they were near each other. Yeah, Alyssa may have mostly looked like Zach, but she for sure took most of her bright personality from Jack. Zach has always assumed that, that's where her happy aura had came from.

"Okay baby, time for bed" Jack stated as he stopped his movements and placed a small kiss on her cheek. Alyssa immediately stopped laughing and gave a small pout. The last thing she wanted to do was sleep. And as Jack brought her towards her bed, she let out a yawn and rubbed at her eyes.

"But I'm not sweepy. Please let me stay with you two" she managed out, as she had gotten comfortable. Her big brown eyes looked up at the two men who hovered over her tiny frame. Zach cooed as he leaned down to press a kiss to her temple.

"Wish you could, princess. But you have school tomorrow. You need to sleep" Zach says and squatting to her eye level. Jack did the same. She looked between her two parents and let tears start to prick her eyes. Both men instantly felt bad.

"Oh, don't cry" Jack whispered.

"But you'll weave again. I don't want you to weave, papa" Alyssa cracks. Just the sight of her made both adults' heart break.

"I have to soon, baby."

Zach looked down at the ground. He bit the inside of his cheek knowing this would come eventually.

"I'll be back tomorrow. But after that, I gotta go away for a little bit. But I'll be back before you know it. And when I do come back, we can do whatever you want. Does that sound alright?" Jack said while rubbing some tears from her eyes. He saw the little girl nod lightly. "Okay. I love you, baby."

"I love you too..." She drifted as she slowly closed her eyes. Jack stood to his feet, observing the little girl. Zach sighed as he stood beside the other. He motioned for them to leave, shutting the light off and keeping the door open just a crack. And when knowing that she was peacefully sleeping, Zach walked towards the kitchen and started to pick up loose dishes.

Right after Jack had attended the small family, Zach didn't really have time to clean after dinner. Or do anything for that matter. He mostly just sat and watched Jack with Alyssa; hoping he wasn't making a huge mistake by letting him in.

Zach placed all items in the sink, running the warm water. He heard Jack approach beside him, leaning against the counter. The younger thought nothing about it as he continued his cleaning. Or that was before Jack had spoken.

"My manager was furious that news was already spreading about us band members fighting."

Zach rolled his eyes.

"Everyone knows about Alyssa, but no one knows about you. And now people have theories the second they seen a picture of you with us guys. They think you're some type of adopted father, as if I was trying to keep her hidden all these years" Jack rants with a sigh.

"She was hidden. You just weren't the one hiding her" Zach bluntly replied as he placed a now clean plate in the drying rack beside the sink.

"People know Zach, and it won't be long before they piece you in the puzzle as well. And not as some adopted father, but as the actual person who gave birth to her" Jack replied looking at Zach with a frown. The other refused to look at him though. He focused his attention on cleaning the dishes, thinking deeply about all the words that were spewing from Jack's mouth.

"So maybe that's a sign on how you should just leave."

"What?" Jack's eyes widened as he looked at the other in shock. "Zach, I'm not leaving you or Alyssa."

"You should Jack. Save Alyssa the heart break" Zach finally looked at the other, tears brimming his eyes. Jack felt his chest tighten as he went to go wipe the tears from the other's eyes. Zach simply shook his head and went back to cleaning. "It's going to happen eventually, right? And don't you have a girlfriend anyway? Lindsay or whatever? Don't want her upset that you're spending your free time away from her."

"It's Gabbie, but that doesn't matter. What matters is you trusting me. Zach, I know you're still hur-" he was cut off.

"You don't know shit about how I'm feeling" Zach blurts.

"So why won't you tell me? Let me help you? That's why I'm here" Jack replies.

"No, you're only here because we accidentally met in the store. And it's my fault for agreeing to allow you to see Alyssa" Zach spits, making Jack look back hurt.

"And that's understandable. But Zach, you can't take me away from her now."

"What the hell do you want from me then? Jack, everything you touch you fuck up. How am I supposed to know you won't hurt her?" Zach glares at him.

"Because I'm sorry for everything. Never were my intentions to hurt you. I'm here now" Jack calmly replies.

"Stop saying that. Just stop."

He took a deep breath in.

"You weren't there for us then, so why does it matter if you're here for us now?" Zach asks angrily as he puts a glass plate away. He had just put his daughter down for bed and he knows he's gonna have to control his anger if he doesn't want to wake her. So taking a deep sigh, Zach stopped with the dishes and dropped his head.

"Look, I know you're mad at me. And if I were you, I would be too. But please, I wanna help. I know I shouldn't have left you alone in that hospital but-" he was cut off right there. Zach whipped around, his face fuming, showing a darker shade of red.

"Exactly. But Jack. You had a choice to make. Stay with me, or run off. And you chose to run. Run with all of the responsibilities you knew you were going to have. Not once have you sent me a message, or even tried to call. You never wanted to know about how your daughter was doing. And it's too late now. You want someone to love? Go back to your girlfriend and have another child. Because you're not going to come in and now fuck up our lives!" Zach shouted, not even caring if he woke up the poor four year old.

He needed to show how much Jack really broke him.

Jack sighed as he looked at the now grown man. He was obviously more different than when he was a teen. Just not too different; where if Zach was crying for help, he made it noticeable.

He had tears in his eyes and his jaw was clenched tight.

"I'm sorry" Jack whispered out.

"Sorry s'not gonna cut it. Just please leave. Leave and never come back" Zach croaked out, his voice hoarse.

"I'll be back tomorrow and I'm gonna show you. I'm gonna show you I'm here for you now" Jack stated as he descends from the kitchen. He leaves the house completely; Zach then falling to the ground letting his tears free fall. He pulled his knees close to his chest, sobs escaping effortlessly.

"Daddy?"

Zach immediately snapped his head up to see his little girl holding her stuffed bunny. She looked at him with a frown and tears of her own.

"Come here princess" Zach waved her over and she didn't hesitate to run into his arms. "It's okay. We're going to be fine."