Chapter 1

SONA

1810

A glimmer of moonlight shone through the cloudy night skies, sketching an eerie glow over the forest and shrubbery that lined the Oxford Road. The night forest fell silent to the pounding of hooves as the lone horse and rider made their way down the road. The moonlight shimmered of the sweat lathered over dark velvet skin as muscles continued to flex and heave driving the horse and rider forward through the night at a break neck speed heedless to the many port holes that paved the way. The clocked figure riding through the night was well concealed by the darkness. The horse and rider braced then took the gate and continued down the road. The skill and precision of the rider was faultless unaffected by the pitch black dark night. The subtle jolt served to shake loose the hood that concealed the riders face. At that moment, the clouded skies parted just enough to lend a bright beam of light over the valley. The rider was revealed to hold a pair of bright cat green eyes on a stunning face crowned by a head of silver blond hair strung back into a tight knot. The anguish felt by the rider was clearly expressed on my perfect face. I screwed up my expression tighter to hold back tears as I determinedly made my way forward putting as much speed and distance between myself and the source of my sorrow. I focused my gaze, my vision appeared to be unaffected by the surrounding darkness. Picking my way through the darkness with the ease of daylight, I guided my horse to avoid any perilous footholds.

It was nearing dawn before I finally pulled of the road and made my way through the darkness to the inn settled just off the road. The dim glow of a lantern was the only sign of life at that hour. The rider swung off my perch and strode up to the front door. I slammed the door knocker determined to rouse any sign of life. My keen hearing brought signs of someone arriving to answer my summons. I turned and leaped of the porch and made my way back to my horse. I stopped just within the faint glow of the lantern. My movements were fluid and dreamlike. An ethereal grace that was hitherto unseen. I flipped my hood back on and dropped my head and lowered my gaze to peer through my lashes, adopting a subservient pose.

My heart pounded in sudden fear as I heard the bolts being pulled back, each bolt loud and shattering against my keen hearing. I braced myself. The door swung back to reveal a scrawny urchin who hollered, "Wha'da ya want?"

"I am looking for shelter. I can pay," I said, my voice hoarse and husky from lack of use.

The urchin stared, momentarily stunned to find a girl addressing him at this early hour. He turned his head to survey his left then right before he swung his gaze back to my. "You alone?" he questioned feeling half dazed and unsure if he was in fact still in bed dreaming.

"Yes," I replied softly.

He stood there momentarily speechless. Then, he snapped out of it and swung the door back wider gesturing for me to come in. Stepping into the large stone walled foyer, I flicked back my cloak subtly to display an impressive sword and lash strapped to my slim hips. Ensured that the urchin caught on to the shiny glint of metal, I straightened my posture into one of authority and followed closely in the urchin's wake.

It was a week later when I finally emerged from my rented room at the inn with a plan formulated on my future. I had finally come to grips with my loss. I set aside my sorrow and grief over the passing of Father Richards to focus on my future as I knew I could no longer be sheltered at the convent without Father Richards there to protect my identity. I lowered my veil and made my way to reception. I had money with which to pay for my accommodation. I knew I needed to acquire a means to support myself going forward. No longer could I hide myself under the protection of Father Richards' parish. I was grateful for the few pounds Father Richard amassed from his humble livings over forty years as a parishioner to the good Christians of Lower Plenty. Father Richards had stowed away this sum specifically for Sona knowing that a day would arrive when he would have to leave me to serve a greater good.

As always, the thoughts of Father Richards brought fresh tears to my eyes. I wiped them away and braced myself for the future that lay ahead. I swung determinedly towards the barn.

The stable boy ran ahead offering to saddle up my horse for a few quids. I declined, " I don't have a saddle," I said then strode forward and swung lightly upon the horse with an inhuman grace. I leaned forward and placed my palms open along the neck of the horse and said, "Common Hannah, lets go". With that they spun out and blew through the stable door at full gallop. The horse and rider easily leaped over the cart carrying sacks of grain that was making its way across the road without pausing and sped-off. Everyone watching stood back in shocked awe at such masterly yet reckless riding.

It was several weeks past in living off the land and dodging civilisation that I finally made my way to the port. As was my practice I travelled at night allowing the darkness to cloak me from prying eyes. I stopped at a disreputable inn for the night, for I planned to purchase my voyage to India the very next day. I used my cold manner and veil to distract from prying eyes. But in a disreputable hell hole such as that I presently visited, I was forced to unleash my whip and correct a few forward addresses. I then whipped free the pistols that were produced to address my temerity in doing so. I was highly skilled in all physical endeavours for where I lacked in actual technique I more then made up for in agility and strength. I mastered techniques on observing others perform and adapting to mimic their performances.

The landlord permitted me to reside in the Inn. He was happy to receive my money and to discover there was no blood Id on my arrival. My veiled appearance and skills led others to perceive my as one of the witchery practitioners. I always knew it would come to this. It was the sole reason why I kept myself hidden from society.

I was quick to use the days following to arrange for my trip on the first ship away from England. I purchased my supplies but acquired no additional clothing. I would as always alternate my present clothing with my only spare. Each was threadbare but well cleaned. As the cold and heat of the changing climates did not affect my I could dress up with as little as swinging on my cloak for winter. The cloak however, was forced to remain though summer as I could not reveal myself to all.

It brought my sorrow to part with Hannah, my mare. But sold her I did to the highest bidder for I needed as much funds with me for my journey ahead. My destination .. wherever the road leads me.