I Care, a Little Too Much

I stood near a window on the second-floor balcony at The Sloppy Iguana and had just taken a sip of my beer when I peered down to the street and watched a motorcycle roar up to the curb, stop, and park

I nearly choked as I watched the rider slide his long legs off the sleek, black machine and pull off his helmet.

Holy hell, it was Leo.

Beautiful. He was simply beautiful.

Tonight, he looked raw and strong. He wore faded jeans, an unbuttoned black-and-white plaid shirt over a white-T-shirt, and black boots. His appearance had always captivated me.

With my heart slamming around my chest, I watched him stride toward the entrance, then disappear from view.

I didn't think he'd actually come tonight.

I sighed and walked over to the other part of the balcony, which overlooked the beach and sunset. Dread started to settle in. Why had he showed up after practically throwing me out of his bakery? I'd barely had time to say goodbye.

It was going to be near impossible to stay away from him.

It was all so strange, him throwing me out, because our kiss had been phenomenal. Epic. What had gone wrong? Did he not like the way I kissed anymore? Did my breath stink? Was he no longer attracted to me because I'm bigger now?

A black mood settled over me as I watched him enter the Iguana's second-floor bar balcony area. Lord. Just looking at him made me unsteady. His shoulders somehow looked even broader tonight.

The balcony was packed, mostly with older business owners, people my mom's age I'd known my entire life. Basically Leo, Catalina, and I were the youngest people here.

I watched as Leo laughed and chatted with a group of people at the entrance. He mingled easily, exchanging business cards with three men in Hawaiian shirts, then stopping to chat with a woman in a tiny, tight, forest green dress. The way that woman beamed at him was unsurprising. Every woman here had probably already noticed him.

It wasn't like there were legions of hot guys on Palmira.

Leo continued to work the crowd, and I found myself entranced. He exhibited more self-assurance than he had while working the oven in his bakery, yet his words that floated over were humble, a quality I'd found in short supply with most guys. I recalled how his voice cracked while talking about trying to save his dying friend, and I admired him for staying sane and self-assured in the face of such horror.

How had he avoided being damaged from all he'd seen? What had he seen in the war? Too much, I was sure.

But it didn't seem to matter. From beach to bakery to bar, Leo was sexy and confident in any situation. Unlike me. I felt awkward, ill-prepared, and stuck in the past.

I met his gaze as he spoke to the owner of the island's surf shop, and he grinned. I turned away quickly, embarrassed to be caught staring. Why did he have to have that smattering of sexy stubble across his chin and jaw? He was too handsome and too tempting. His stunning slate-colored eyes, his wry smile and long legs...they all made me second-guess everything.