03 • Rose Rebels

I had finally stopped crying after an entire hour of sobbing uncontrollably. Now I just sat here, on my bed, looking up at the ceiling trying not to think about it anymore. My heart felt so heavy, like it had swelt up and was now too big for my body. I could hear my phone vibrating again, knowing it would be Hannah phoning me.

I didn't feel like talking. My throat felt so hoarsed and sore, if I spoke I would just break down again. I felt bad, knowing she was probably worried about me. I rolled over onto my stomach, grabbing my phone and seeing all the miscalls and texts from her.

Koala:
{How did it go with
your parents??}

Koala:
{I tried phoning you.
Are you okay?}

Koala:
{Phone me please X}

I sighed heavily, knowing I should talk to her and explain the situation. I stood up, pacing for a moment as I really thought about if I wanted to phone her or not, deciding I pretty much had to. I pressed dial, Hannah instantly picking up as if she had been waiting by her phone for me to call. That broke my heart even more.

“Rose! I've been so worried, I was phoning-”

“I know,” I cut in. I sighed to myself, blinking back my tears. “But I was busy.”

“What did your parents say when you told them?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and felt a couple tears roll down my cheek, but I managed to compose myself enough to speak. “My Mum didn't say anything. My Dad...” I began to cry again, trying to muffle the sounds by crying into my sleeve. There was a long gap of silence where I cried a little until I felt okay to speak again. “He said he was disappointed. He sent me to my room, said he'd come talk to me soon but...he hasn't.”

“You tried your hardest.”

“I know but he doesn't believe that.”

She paused again, I knew what she was going to ask. “Well, what about Korea?”

The tears were swelling up again. “Hannah...”

“That’s so unfair. I'm going to talk to him and say-”

“Hannah, no, you know my Father. He isn't the type to budge. Especially if you talk to him for me.”

“I know,” she said, sounding defeated. I felt the same way too.

I was hoping my concerns about today would have been wrong and I was just underestimating myself but I had been right, I wasn't smart enough. I knew my Father would be scrolling trough college and university courses I could get into with what I had.

I'm sure there are many but he'd still be upset with me for not getting into his first choice. To be honest, me and my Father had completely different ideas for my future. If it was up to me, I would study music and become a musician but of course that wasn't what my Father wanted.

He thought I wouldn't make it, which was probably true. He wanted me to spend a decade in school, then off to be a lawyer. I almost forgot that I was on the phone to Hannah until she spoke again, actually startling me.

“Tonight I’m throwing a party to celebrate my exam results,” She told me, pausing for a moment. “I know you're probably not in the mood to go to a party but it felt rude not to invite you.”

“Honestly, getting drunk and partying sounds pretty good right now but there's no chance my Dad would let me go.”

“Sneak out,” She joked.