Chapter Eight

January 14th, 2016

It had been a week and a half since Andrea and Axel had last seen or heard from each other. That's ten days to be exact. Whereas Andrea was a mix of emotions ranging from paranoia to relief, Axel thought that this time was good for him, that it would give him some time to find out the answers to some of the questions that had been nagging at him for years.

Like, who's Andrea's birth mother?

Why was she on his door step that night?

Why was he blood so key for her survival?

What was she going to do now, knowing that she has a more complicated past than she could ever imagine?

All these questions danced in his mind, as insects would a light in the night. He felt that things had changed and with this revelation, something was bound to happen. He was beginning to regret ever telling her but he felt that it was only fair that he gave her that which is rightfully hers.

So over the time since he had last seen her, he had tried looking for answers, he burnt down villages and slaughtered many in towns but despite the effort no one was able to give him the information he needed.

Over the years he tried digging up information on who was responsible for Andrea popping up on his door step that evening, barely alive, barely breathing.

Then came one night, years after the incident, after he had rid an entire village of its males, to feed, that a young woman of that village had approached, clothes tattered and blood soaked, she had been holding unto her husband as he took his dying breaths and he had told her that she should tell him what he knew, so as to prevent many innocent others from meeting the same fate as he. When she did approach him claiming she had information which she might find useful, he barely gave her much attention, threatening that if she did continue to bother him that she should meet the same fate as whoevers blood soaked her garments.

So she left him and withheld that information, deciding that it wasn't worth it. Later that night in her dream she was visited by the ghost of her late husband.

"You must meet him Alphia, the people who surround me now will net let me rest till you tell him what he must know."

"But how, how am I sure that he wouldn't kill me after he hears what I have to say. I am with child. I have already lost you tonight, I couldn't bear the thought of losing our unborn child my love," she had cried back to him in the dream, yet he was calm.

"I promise you, you and our unborn child will not be harmed. I have faith that you would both be well," he had said comforting her in the dream.

"What has faith got to do with anything? Despite my faith in us growing old together with beautiful children, you are no longer with me! What good is faith!" she had cried out to him and he did share in her pain.

"Faith is that which gives us strength, my love. It is which helps us to go on, dear. I have faith in you that you and our child would live on without me. I have faith that you would not die in his hands," he said as his hands lightly grazed her face as they stared into the eyes of each other, into the eyes of their faith.

She woke up the next morning in a haze recollecting vividly the dream she had the previous night after she had cried herself to sleep. Without giving herself the opportunity to think herself out of anything she rushed to get ready and found him at his house.

"What are you doing here?" Axel had asked her, his voice tinged with irritation.

"I was the one who dropped that necklace you saw on your door" she said as she gathered the courage to speak. He looked at her with accusing eyes, suspicious of her intentions.