Chapter Three

I walked to the office with Samantha trailing behind me to sign in as instructed by an old man who was waving to me like a maniac, as if he had finally reunited with his long lost wife.

Whom I assumed was dead.

Just kidding.

What?

That guy was like a century old.

The office was technically a fish tank with a young woman seated at her desk facing the glass door. Upon seeing us approach, she smiled and motioned for me to come in. Inside, it stank of coffee and sweat, which revealed its long history with sweaty jocks and tired staff.

"Cass," I introduced.

"I think i'm supposed to sign in?"

The lady smiled and patted a stack of paper which was already resting on the counter even before we arrived. Samantha grabbed it from the counter and filled it in with her crappy handwriting, which would look much more authentic if she had written it in red crayon.

Samantha and I split up, each to find our own way to our classrooms, armed with only a vague map of the school and a crumpled sheet of a schedule.

I winded down the hallways making lots of lefts and rights, feeling that same old sick feeling in the gut of being in a completely new environment.

Finally, I found the door of my classroom  at a lonely corner of the hall and yanked it open, praying silently that my new classmates wouldn't be as weird as the ones I've met in Canada. 

And please do not put vodka in my bottle.