Chapter Eight

There I was, in the moist-smelling girl's bathroom(at least I think it was) trying my best not to bawl my eyes out in embarrassment. Part of me advised myself to let it out because it was unhealthy to hide my emotions, another part of me told myself to keep my shit together.  My breathing was shaky and I was trying so hard to think straight, to figure out what was going on.

And I did figure out what was going on.

Julian was making a joke out of me in front of everyone else, and maybe me locking myself up in a bathroom stall was part of the plan. Maybe he wanted me to freak out and fuss over it for his own twisted entertainment. So when my two friends both stumbled into the toilet sounding more excited than worried, I stood up and took a deep breath.

No. Big. Deal.

I breathed in deeply, hoping that my face had returned to its original shade, exhaled, flushed the toilet and went out to meet my friends.

"Hey," I smiled like nothing interesting had happened.

"You were making out with Ryder," Tiana started, sounding breathless and still in a state of disbelief.

Gabriel, on the other hand, looked like she was going to die of happiness.

"This is freaking amazing!" She burst out hysterically, making me jump a little. 

I could also tell that Tiana was a little startled.

"The legendary Julian decides to date Cass the moment she arrives? I'm so glad we're friends, I'm so-" She appeared to be choking in tears of happiness.

"I'm so," Gabriel continued, "happy!"

"Does that mean that we get to attend his birthday party? I heard he only invited seniors and close friends, so Cass you have to ask him if we could come. Please!" Tiana begged desperately.

They looked at me big-eyed in unison like puppies waiting for a treat. I wanted very much to tell them that it was just a mean prank and that we certainly we'rent dating or anything like that, but seeing them so excited and happy, I thought it would be criminal to burst their bubbles. 

I guess one party wouldn't hurt, right?

I shrugged.

"I guess."

Both of them let out horrifying shrieks of delight and threw their arms around me, squeezing me so hard I thought I was going to explode like a balloon.

I laughed a genuine laugh for the first time since I stepped into the school. It felt good to make my new friends happy, and it felt good to know that they we'rent mean girls after all. They were looking out for me since I came to the school, showing me around a little and sharing their favorite memories from Valentine's Prom during class. 

I wanted to return the favor.