Chapter Four

Eyes, so many eyes.

I'd think that by now I would have been used to all this attention, but their curious eyes made me wonder if I had shaved this morning or if my shirt was on backwards or if i had a weird bug in my hair. I took a deep breath and tried my best to smile.

Honestly, my smile felt strained and I felt my eyes tearing up suddenly- not because I was afraid or anything but because I forgot to blink and damn my eyes were burning.

I knew the drill, new girl stands in front of class and introduces herself, everyone greets new girl, new girl takes a seat and the drama begins.

"I'm Cass. Cass Hollister."

"Hi Cass," they said in unison.

Two girls scrambled out of their seats and stood beside me.

Crap, I thought, your average high-egoed mean girls.

One of them, the taller one with brunette hair and round brown eyes casually slid her hand over my shoulder while the other folded her arms. She looked like she was running for President or something.

"Cass doesn't need to introduce herself to you guys," Tall Brunette announced.

"She's with us now."

Everyone was so quiet and I could tell how horrified they were to see Cass-the-new-girl undergo the silent torture of attention from the two mean girls. I could sense the tension between us rising, although it was actually just me.

Miss President leaned in so that I could hear what she was going to say.

" The seat beside Tiana's for you."

Ah.

Tall Brunette's name is Tiana.

I shuffled quietly to the seat, resenting all the unwanted attention that these girls have brought on me and plunked myself down a little too ungracefully on the cold metal chair. Pleased, the two girls returned to their seats beside me.

"Okay, that was nice," the teacher said, clapping her hands so very elegantly.

"I'm Miss Vi," she added, pointing to her two-lettered name on the whiteboard just in case I didn't know how to read. But then again it was helpful because I learnt that her name was pronounced as "vai" and not "vee".

Without further ado, Miss Vi yammered on about how Hitler gassed the Jews. I groaned.

"Hey," Miss President called softly, poking at my arm.

"I'm Gabriel."

That's a guy's name.

"Gabriel?" I asked, trying to sound as amused as possible for the benefit of her entertainment.

"Like the angel of light?"

"God, shut up!" She laughed punching me lightly on my arm, "Is it safe to say you'll be spending lunch with us?"

"Sure," I shrugged, "I don't have any one else to hang out with, do I?"

So lunch it was.