one

chapter one - penumbra

song of the chapter ; tomorrow - jorja smith

--

CHERRY WINE,

NAPALM SKIES,

SWEET BREEZE.

Farah watched with an adoring grin as the young boy sat on the grass, giggling when a tiny ladybug landed on the back of his hand. She raked her fingers through his thick head of dark curls, taking a small sip of her glass of wine as she gazed at the tree line that formed into a forest that lay a few feet away. The heavens were painted pink and orange, littered with white, fluffy clouds as the sun began to sink below the horizon. The leaves of the oak tree above them bristled with a light gust of air, accompanied by the chirp of a cricket.

"Sorry I took so long," Israfil breathed heavily, his hand tight around the cooler. He placed it down gently on the blanket. He smiled softly at his son, then at his wife, before unlocking the cooler and placing a container of fresh strawberries down, placing a kiss on her lips.

Farah smiled back at him, opening the box to pull out a piece of fruit out. "No worries. Come, sit down." She made space for him, placing her own cup down to pour him a serving of wine. The crimson, sweet alcohol swirled around the glass as he took a sip.

"What's that, Gabriel?" Israfil asked him, pointing at the red-coloured bug that was now on the little boy's palm.

Gabriel tittered slightly, his silver eyes glinting in amusement.  "It's a ladybug!" He watched in wonder as the insect spread out its wings before flying away into the forest. He struggled to get onto his feet, and when he did, he stumbled a bit. "Can I go look for another one?"

Farah glanced at him warily, "Okay. Don't go too far."

The young boy nodded, his inky curls spiralling onto his forehead as he teetered on the earth, before going off to look for another ladybug. Farah kept her eye on him as he sat right in front of the tree where he plopped down on the grass and began peering through it. She sighed slightly, reaching to pick another strawberry from the box and planting it in her mouth.

"How was work today?" She asked.

Israfil shook his head, breathing heavily as if he were trying to exhale all of his stress. "Busy. More rogues at the western border." He reached for the box of chocolate chip cookies, popping open the box. Upon hearing such, Gabriel looked up from his position with excitement and began moving clumsily, on a mission to get a piece of his favourite dessert. Israfil laughed slightly and held out one towards him, to which the young boy gratefully took and thanked him.