Chapter 4 : A girl should never be without pants.

CHAPTER 4 : AUDREY’S POV 

The evidence bag slowly fluttered to the ground and Mason scrambled to pick it up. His own eyes went wide upon reading it. 

“I know this is hard, but do you have any idea why they would say that?” 

My voice came out as a mere whisper. 

“No.” 

My hands started shaking and my hand search for Masons. His fingers curled around mine and squeezed. I swallowed trying to clear my mind. 

“D-do you have any idea who wrote that.”

Officer Myers sighed and ran her hands over her face. 

“I’m sorry Audrey. We don’t know anything but that they were male. We were hoping you knew something.” 

My voice was still a whisper. 

“I don’t know. I’m sorry.” 

“You have no reason to be sorry.” She paused and handed me a bottle of water. “In the mean time I suggest you don’t spend time alone and stay away from your house. Especially since your parents are away. Do you have someone to stay with for awhile.” 

Mason spoke this time. 

“She can stay with me. I’ll keep my eyes on her.” 

“Thank you Mason. You guys are free to go. We’ll call you if we have any news.” 

Mason and I stood up and walked out of the station. I felt like a zombie. I couldn’t get the words out of my head ‘You’re a clever one, but we’ll get you before your 18th. This is a game you can’t win.’ I knew they’re was something different about them. They weren’t your average kidnapers. They wanted me for something. But what? 

Mason opened my car door and sat me down, but instead going to the drivers side he kneeled in front of me and took my hands. 

“They won’t get you. Audrey look at me.” 

I slowly brought my eyes up to meet his. 

“I promise okay. Have I ever broken a promise?” 

“No” 

He brought me in for strong hug then moved around to get in the car. Nobody said anything for the rest of the car ride. We just went straight home, neither of us were in the mood to go out anymore. It was hard to be motivated to go out in public, when someone from that public wants to kidnap/kill you. I don’t understand though, they said before my 18th. My 18th was in two weeks. All I had to do was stay hidden for two weeks. Starting with today, and ending with September 3rd. It seemed easy enough.

Mason parked the car, but neither of us moved to get out. 

“Why my 18th?” 

Mason shook his head. 

“I don’t know.” 

Silence descended again, neither of us had much to say. We didn’t even move. Mason sat with one hand on the gear shift and the other on the wheel and I sat with my head resting against the window, staring at nothing. Mason was first to break the silence. 

“Should we call you you foster parents?” 

I let out a bitter laugh. 

“I can think of a couple reasons why that’s a bad idea.” 

He chuckled lowly. 

“Fair enough.” 

Mason moved and turned the car off, then grabbed my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. I squeezed back and reached for the door handle. Wordlessly, Mason did the same and we walked to the front door. We walked through the foyer and headed straight to the stairs, but dad saw us first.