~Chapter 1 {Part 2}~

(Cry's pov)

We had left Russ and Red at our base to have a little 'alone time', since we were only going out to do a small scavenging mission and the two of them hadn't really been able to stay together in privacy for more than half an hour in recent weeks. They were also there to guard Krism, who had stayed up the night before to keep guard after a few days of only a couple hours rest and desperately needed some actual sleep.

Minx, Jund, Snake and I have all been wondering the city, looking mostly for food since our stocks were desperately low, but there were more tainted than we expected, and the resolve to go undetected was slowly crumbling, and I just wanted to go ahead and kill some of the damn things. But, of course, there was the whole 'not wanting every monster in the city to find us' thing, so stealth it was. 'Maybe there was a way to do it, like sneak up behind one, although they'd probably-' I was broken out of my thoughts by a tainted screaming in pain from not that far away- 'do exactly that.'.

"I wonder what made it scream like that," Minx questioned, head turned towards a row of tall, decrepit buildings, saying what all of us were thinking out loud. She sighed and turned away again, and started muttering about the heat. I didn't pay that much attention to the whole ordeal, and when I saw how much time we'd spent without finding anything, I bounded, (carefully, of course), to an average looking hotel. I silently stalked in, staying as close as I could to the exit while still being able to survey the room, before letting everyone in with a flick of my hand once I was sure the coast was clear. I made straight for the stairs, passing the probably dysfunctional elevator, not checking out the surroundings now that they were 'safe'.

"Hey, guys, looks like someone's been through here already." Jund observed, gesturing to the muddy footprints scattered around the room.

"Looks fresh." Snake commented, then continued his silent tour around the room, no doubt cataloging all the hiding spots and vantage points. I seriously had no idea how the guy did that kind of thing in his head. I frowned once I fully realised what had just been said.

"Be careful, whoever made those could still be around here." I told them, and after a brief second of listening I gave a mental shrug and continued up the stairs. I went straight to the second floor, and saw a medical box. I saw it was unlocked, and it had been picked clean.

"God damn it, it's probably all been taken," Jund said with an annoyed huff.

"Well, not everything," Was Minx's counter, and she waved something, looking very triumphant at the scowl and eye roll combo she got from him. She then tossed the item to me, which turned out to be a couple rolls of bandages. I was about to praise her on her find, but then I was cut off.

"Hey, check it out! Theres a person down there!" Minx half-shouted to use, looking out the window.

"She's going into the health centre! She probably has loads of supplies!" Jund continued excitedly. His run to the stairs has interrupted by a hand.

"Stop." Snake commanded, his arm held straight against the doorway, choosing to ignore Jund's affronted look.

"What?! Why?" He asked, trying futilely to get past Snake.

"She might not be friendly." I said simply, staring out at the maybe-a-girl shaped blob through the window.

"Did you see the dead thing in the pool?" Snake asked, arm lowered, and we all turned in unison. Sure enough, there was a tainted floating face down in the water, bloody and pumped full of bullets, with an axe in its head to boot. Jeez. But still, I had to admire her ability to take one down by herself. Definitely not impressed at all.

The girl suddenly appeared out of the medical centre, gave a quick scan of the area, then picked up a shovel and began digging in the grass.

"What's she doing? Digging a grave?" Minx asked, and then when the girl came back out dragging a body in a blanket, she paled.