Chapter Thirteen

"Baby put your arms around me. Tell me I'm a problem. Know I'm not the girl you thought you knew and that you wanted."

Stevie Wonder's Signed, Sealed, and Delivered blared through my father's stereo in the backyard

Stevie Wonder's Signed, Sealed, and Delivered blared through my father's stereo in the backyard. The loud old school music gave a great vibe to the party that was going on. It was the Fourth of July and my parents once again hosted their annual barbecue.

My father was on the grill while my mother and Aunts were in the kitchen cooking the side dishes and mostly gossiping. My uncles had joined my father in the back to sip on beers and talk sports and whatever else men talked about.

I, however was going back and forth. I didn't stay too long in the house though. My mother made it a rule that whoever was in the kitchen had to help her. I wasn't that much of a cook so there wasn't much I could help with. And I for damn sure wasn't going to be shucking no corn or cutting any onions or any other vegetables for that matter.

So, currently I'm sitting on the front porch soaking up the heat from the sun that was blazing down on my skin. I wasn't up front alone though. My younger cousins were playing football, jumping rope, and all the other activities children love to do in the summer time.

I was enjoying seeing everyone having a good time. Times like this made me appreciate my family so much. We don't get together often, but when we do it's always an enjoyable time. I love seeing the smile on everyone faces.

But even with all the fun that is going on, my mind can't help but to go back to Shawn. I'm not missing him or anything I'm just trying to figure out and understand why the hell did he lied to me.

I simply asked him did he know Tip or not because Rodney dropped the name Shawn. It was a simple yes or no. That doesn't automatically make him guilty if he would have simply told the truth. But instead he lied, knew he messed up when Tip approached us, then had the nerve to want to explain himself.

I don't even know what I am going to do if I find out Shawn is guilty in more ways than one. You know what...I'm on vacation and in my hometown. Thinking about work should be the very last thing on my mind.

Grabbing the red cup that was next to me, I looked down in it to make sure it wasn't a bug inside of it before taking a sip. One of my aunts is a bartender so she's been in charge of making the drinks. Currently sex on the beach is what's on the menu.

As I was taking a sip of it I seen from the corner of my eyes, Hill walking up to me with a huge grin on his face. He was sweating and his grey tank top had the biggest wet spot because of it. I scrunched up my nose once he sat down next to me.

"Why did you sit next to me when you are all dirty. You need to go take a shower."

"Damn I can't sit next to my baby? I just help my team win the game and I don't even get a congrats? You're supposed to be over here cheering your man on." He shook his head as I rolled my eyes. He was playing street basketball with the guys and because I didn't give a damn about sports I didn't bother to watch them.