PROLOGUE

It had been a long journey to Force India's headquarter. I left France early this morning, took the Eurostar from Lille to London. A car was waiting for me at Saint Pancras International, ready to take me to Silverstone, at the heart of Britain's motorsport valley. It was my second time coming to Force India's factory. Two weeks ago, I was invited by Will Ponissi, head of communication at Force India, for an interview. It was late February and the snow delayed the Eurostar I was in. I was the last person to be interviewed for the position of press relations and personal assistant of Esteban Ocon to arrive, and I was sure that my delay would cost me the position. Seems like it didn't, since I'm stepping into the home of the Pink Panther for the second time, for a second interview.

I got my head of communications diploma only a few months ago, and started working for the 24H du Mans when I heard about Force India's job offer

I got my head of communications diploma only a few months ago, and started working for the 24H du Mans when I heard about Force India's job offer. It was the position I had been dreaming about for years and I didn't hesitate for a second to apply. I had been obsessed with Formula 1 since childhood, with a father and a grandfather both fans of F1. When I started studying communication, I knew I wanted to work in sports, in a football club or a federation, for instance. But it's last year that I decided I would be working for a Formula 1 team one day. Going to my first ever Grand Prix, at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium, I was sitting right behind the paddock. Seeing all this life, the team members running around, the temporary home of the teams, the journalists, I just knew this was where I belonged. I just didn't know my chance would come this fast.

"Hello! My name's Charlie Gauthier, I have an appointment with mister Ponissi." The receptionist at the entry of the building checked my ID for security measures and escorted me to Will Ponissi's office.

"Mister Ponissi, your 11 o'clock appointment is here." She introduced me after knocking and opening the door of his office.

"Right on time! Please Charlie, come in."

The receptionist made a step back to let me in and she closed the door behind me, probably going back to her desk. Will Ponissi's office was the exact same than the last time I saw it. A big desk, shelves filled with files, and two soft pink sofas facing a huge window showing a small circuit. What was different, though, was the second man standing up to greet me, behind Will Ponissi.

"Did you have a pleasant journey?" Mister Ponissi shook my hand and my eyes went back to him, leaving the other man I couldn't believe was a few feet from me.

"I did, the weather is much more pleasant than the last time I came here." It was true, no snow this time but a bright sun warming the air.

"Please meet Esteban Ocon, Force India's second driver."

"Ravi de te rencontrer!" (Nice to meet you) Esteban told me with a big smile, instantly making me more relax. I took a deep breath to make sure my shaking would stop and shook the hand he was presenting before me.