CHAPTER 1

We landed in Melbourne a few hours ago, the trip was awfully long but it gave me time to talk to Esteban about his upcoming appearances and interviews. This is the first Grand Prix of the season, meaning lots of journalists want an exclusive interview of him. This is going to be a busy weekend!

Being two of the few women of the travelling team and around the same age, Lisa, 25, an aerodynamic engineer, and I, got assigned to the same hotel room for the whole season. She's Scottish, which is quite fun because I sometimes don't understand a thing she says because of her accent. We had a drink together last week, figured we have to at least get along if we're going to spend the next year living together every weekend.

At the hotel, I unpack my suitcase and change clothes into a pair of jeans, the team's shirt, white sneakers and a sweater. The weather in Australia at this period isn't much different from the weather in England, maybe just a bit warmer and sunnier. It's Wednesday, there isn't anything scheduled for today. I grab my computer and tell Lisa I'm going to work next to the hotel's pool, to try and enjoy the last hours of sun. The jet lag hasn't kicked in yet so I better make the most of it and work while I can. I lay on a sun lounger with my sunglasses on.

 I lay on a sun lounger with my sunglasses on

Esteban has 3 interviews scheduled tomorrow. I check that everything is alright: the timing and place of the interviews, the questions of the journalists, and the presence or not of photographs. I already briefed Esteban about the interviews on the plane so it should be okay. I also check our plane reservation for the end of the weekend, Esteban, Dan and I go to Monaco for a few days before going to Bahrain.

"Hey, Charlie!" I raise my eyes from my computer when I hear my name. Esteban and two other drivers, Charles Leclerc from Monaco and Pierre Gasly from France, are coming from the inside of the hotel, a brunette accompanying them. I wave at them and straighten myself, leave my computer on the sun lounger and get up to introduce myself. "Meet Charles Leclerc, Pierre Gasly and his girlfriend Caterina."

"Hi, very nice to meet you! I'm Charlie."

"You're Esteban's new PR and PA! We heard all about you." Pierre exclaims as he kisses me on both cheeks, like us French people do.

"Oh, did he, now?" I smirk, looking at Esteban's embarrassed face.

"Only good things, promise!" Charles adds.

"This is nice to have a girl my age around here." Caterina hugs me with a smile. "I keep waiting for these two to find a girlfriend so I can have some girl company during the race weekends!" She looks at Charles and Esteban in a teasing gesture.

"We were just about to head out to look around the city. Come with us!" Esteban says. I look at my computer, debating what I should do. I guess checking 3 times to make sure everything was settled is enough and I can now relax. Besides, it's a good opportunity to know more about Esteban and his friends. I'm bound to spend time with them as some point, better start now.