06/ Familial strains

The next few days passed in a blur of drunken antics and laughter, without ever leaving my best friends side. Even with the welcome, constant distraction Kitt provided, it seemed my mind was busy playing a game of whack-a-mole. There was one seemingly ever present, defiant mole which refused to be beat down and that was Grey. All too soon it was time to leave Kitt's, and I couldn't suppress the low feeling that had settled in the pit of my stomach. Although, this was probably more to do with the slight hangover I seemed to be permanently sporting. Sliding my sunglasses back over my eyes, avoiding the late afternoon sun, we bundled my suitcases and Kitt's overnight bag into her pathetic excuse for a boot as we set off across town to an address I had for my sister.

We were buzzed up to the top floor with no questions asked. I tried to hide my shock at the glass interior of the high rise, or the fact that mysister had reached the standard of living that came with a twenty-four-hour concierge. Kitt caught my eye from across the otherwise empty lift, and shared a small incredulous glance; we were clearly both thinking the same thing. We rode to the top of the building inside the mirrored elevator, still marvelling at the lavish nature of the block of apartments. It was the sort of place that you saw only on billboards, I'd never quite expected it to look like this. Everything from the eccentric low hanging light fixtures to the dark wood panelling seemed to ooze class and sophistication.

The elevator pinged, a flashing screen alerted us that we'd reached the penthouse suite. The doors slid open without the least bit of moaning and groaning. I'd never heard an elevator so quiet, I guess that was what they paid for. We stepped out, cautiously surveying the deserted hallway. It wasn't difficult to notice which of the apartments was the one we were seeking. Pink and silver banners, streamers and balloons all displaying 'Bride to Be' had been tacked to the door and surrounding frame.

Kitt and I stood, neither of us making any moves to knock. I looked to her with pleading eyes.

"Well, she's your sister."

I sighed. "Doesn't mean I want to be around her."

"Neither do I. But we are here now. Aren't you at least curious to what it looks like inside?"

"Not if that means I have to be in there with her."

"Georgie, just knock the damn door," Kitt told me with unnerving calmness. "She's going to be so busy with the wedding preparations she won't even have time to make your life hell. Plus, she's finally getting some action in the bedroom department, that's bound to have calmed her down a little."

I couldn't help the laughter that slipped through my lips, eventually, I raised my hand to the door. All it took was a single rap for the door to swing open form where it had been left ajar.

"Well, that was easier than I thought it would be," Kitt deadpanned.

I struggled down the corridor with my large suitcase, held out in front of me, awkwardly colliding with my legs with each step that I took. I would undoubtedly end up with bruises in an array of colours, but this was far better than the alternative. I didn't dare tempt fate and drag the suitcase along the floor. Knowing my luck, and my sister's rage, a single mark on her precious marble floor would start World War Four; we were hardly on speaking terms to after the third. Our family was fractured. Two sisters, polar opposites. Driven apart by constant feuds and the short channel of water that allowed my freedom from her; from family. I felt heavy around them, in both the literal and figurative sense. With this family came pressure.

It was then that I laid eyes on my mother. She peeked through a doorway, her short pixie length hair sporting fresh blonde highlights that made her look considerably younger than her fifty-odd years. She had never looked her age, even when Shelly and I were kids in the playground, she relished in every complement as our sister, rather than a mother. It was almost as if relinquishing any maternal role over us was an achievement well managed. She was short in stature, and ever so slender, with an angular face to match, but no searching of her face showed any resemblance to my own. We were estranged and alien to one another now.

"GENIE! KITTY!" she screamed out, and her dainty hand set a plastic glass down on the mantle. I cringed at the childhood nickname, that had stretched far into my teenage years. It was all part of the identity I had moved away to forget; something my mother never understood. I'd cut ties when I'd moved away. It wasn't until a phone call flashed my screen from Kitt, raving about an invitation she'd received in the post that I was faced with the reality of being expected to come home.

I reluctantly let her draw me into her arms. I'd never been the one for familial affection, I very rarely was on the receiving side of any of it in, that hadn't changed now. I could smell the sharp scent of champagne on my mother's breath and I recoiled from her immediately. Kitt naturally replaced the space I left in my mother's arms and I watched on as they enjoyed a long embrace. Eventually, Kitt withdrew. She was smiling, and not the fake smile that I had forced on my face when I was in her position a few long seconds ago, it was a true smile. They were obviously happy to see one another. My fists clenched at my sides.

"Your hair!" Kitt gasped, letting the short tendrils fall through her fingers.

"Don't you think it makes me look young?" my mother asked. Her hand rested on her hip which she had stuck outwards in a pose that she probably thought made her sexy. It didn't, and I couldn't help the sensations that rolled though me. I squirmed, eager for the conversation to end. Nevertheless, Kitt gave her a cat call as they chatted animatedly.

"Shelly has set up a room for you both for the night, isn't that kind of her."

The forced smile made its way onto my face again.

"Really nice of her," I mumbled through gritted teeth. I was certain the gesture was as far from nice, and probably not even her idea, but we went with it.

We followed her up a metal spiral staircase, taking great precautions with the suitcases again. I tuned out of listening to her drowning on about the wedding planning and how excited she was. Kitt was failing to take interest either. Instead, she turned to face me half way up the flight and mouthed the word 'wow' nodding down to the glass steps that I'd avoiding casting my eyes down to.

"You should see Shelly. Despite all the wedding planning, she has really blossomed."

"Where is she?" I felt forced to ask.

"Just picking up the catering and drinks order for tonight, she won't be long. I can't wait for you to see her."

"We can't either," Kitt lied.