Two years later

2018

Lucas

I played with the little gold hoop around my index, swirling it back and forth, out of apprehension.

Today had not been my best day.
Since morning, something or the other had to strike, especially at me.

I wondered what had I done in the previous years that karma's been bitching today.

Firstly, I head butted my room door soon after I woke up, even if my eyes were fully opened.

Secondly, a bicycle nearly ran into me while I was quietly standing at the freaking bus stop.

And at last, several nasty glares from passers-by who might think I am some crazy madman as I was being on the lookout every single minute.

I actually had my entrance exam  today. This time, I wanted to pass with flying colours so that I could finally achieve the most precious dream of my late mom, who was a psychologist too.

It was a pity she died so early;  after so many years of perseverence, dedication and her efforts in the field.

That's why I had to finish her incomplete task and work to acquire tremendous success in life.

I would lie if I said I was  confident enough to step in that hall in only a few minutes. I felt like I still wasn't ready, even if I had reached this stage.

But nothing could be done now.
It was my final opportunity and I need to make the best of it.

"Come on Luc, don't be so damn freaked out! It's going to be okay," my best friend, Alicia, encouraged me.

Well, she was not just a meagre friend. I could introduce her as the spinal cord of my body.
I seriously can't imagine my life without her.

She is the kind of friend you know you can always depend on and who'll never complain unless she actually wants something really badly.
Anyways, for all the time I've known her, she has been my terrific support even when
she had to risk certain things just to help me.

And I still cannot thank her enough for all the good deeds.

"Who told you I'm scared? I'm not. It's just-"

"Yeah yeah, It's just perfectly normal for beads of perspiration to run down your forehead in this chilly weather. Besides, you fiddling with that ring indicates it all."

"I myself don't know how I developped this habit. I feel like this gives me even the tiniest bit of strength regardless of nothing logical about this."

"If you could just find her-"

"I would definitely return it to her. It's been safe with me for years but it originally belongs to her. You know I don't usually keep others' belongings," I said to her.

The bell rang, announcing that we all had to move on now.

"You! Lift that chin up, enter like a boss, rape that paper and come back unharmed, like a faithful and patriotic soldier returning after service at the military. I know you can do it. I believe in you!"

Alicia grabbed my cheeks and smacked her lips on my forehead hard before shoving me away.

I will definitely pass, for me, for my mom and lastly, for Alicia.

.

As I had promised, I left the examination hall like a soldier after war.

I guess that was the first step to my long life of hard work and prosperity.

My little accomplishments gave me so much of happiness and glory that I now stood in front of my final destination.

I read my name on the translucent door, entered the rather small cabin and sat down on the big leather chair that belonged to me.

"So dear Dr. L. Heister, congrats! Dinner on you tonight."

"Of course Alicia. After all we should spend some quality time together before you actually get snatched by Brian."

"Right. I mean I cannot believe that I am literally getting married in some weeks. Time flies by so fast."

"Yes it surely does but I still have the ring," I motioned to the gold ring on my finger.

"Don't lose hope. I know you'll be able to meet her again. Just trust me. Remember those are Alicia's words. They cannot ever be wrong. Plus everyone says I've got a cursed tongue."

"I'll just need to abide by your words then. Thanks again."

"For what?"

"Hmm only- for taking care of me  like my actual mom would do and never leaving my side."

"You know I won't ever, and Brian is totally fine with it. He isn't the overprotective and jealous type."

"He's a nice guy."

"Damn right he is. Plus he's so hot and sexy ya know when he-"

"Okayy I understand. No need to elaborate further," I stared at her.

"Sorry," she grinned and I did too, both breaking into a fit of laughter afterwards.

.

-V♡