Chapter Ten

"Long May we reign," he repeats softly and for the first time, I feel like he is really looking at me and seeing me.

He smiles.

"You know, getting married to you might not be so bad after all."

"You should bring her here. Emmeline. She could come here in the position of one of my ladies."

He looks at me with a questioning look on his face. "Really? You would do that?"

"Of course I would. Would it be allowed?"

"I think so if she was to come here as one of your ladies. Thank you for this... you know, when I came here, I did not ever expect us to have a conversation like this."

"Trust me, neither did I."

"We'd better get back to the castle," Alexander says.

"Wait," I say, my voice so quiet I barely feel the words come out of my mouth. "What if we're caught?"

He closes his eyes and sighs.

"Well, we just have to hope we won't be."

I never imagined my wedding to be like this. An event that felt to be no more than a ball. I was woken up at four o'clock this morning, to bathe. Now it is six o'clock and I am watching the sun drift upwards. My ladies have been floating in and out. I haven't seen Karlie. I can't stop myself from shaking.

"Bath time is up, Taylor." I hear my mother's chirpy voice from the other side of the door. I sigh. She is loving every moment of this misery, my misery.

I didn't even get to choose my wedding dress. Didn't get to choose anything.

I stay in the bath until Abigail and Selena tell me I really do need to get out.

Then It's time for my hair and make-up.

My mother buzzes around the room, not hesitating to yell at the hairdresser or make-up artists when something isn't up to her standard. It feels like my heart is about to burst out of my chest.

My hair is done beautifully, but it just doesn't feel right. None of this does.

Then my mother pulls out the dress