Chapter 6

"You're wild Rains." Dee Dee pointed at the 'Absolutely no pets allowed in this building' sign which was attached to the door of the house I lived in.

"Keep it down please... It was hard enough to get them into the house without anybody noticing.." I practically begged him.

My cats are some of the most important creatures in my whole life and I could not imagine leaving them behind. I didn't have much chance to switch buildings though, because that one was the cheapest. By far.

"Gotcha." he nodded with an understanding smile.

Joey looked through the signs underneath the doorbells until he found my name. "Elizabeth Rains... You live in the top?"

"Well almost... second to last floor. The last and the first floor are those with the more expensive apartments." I admitted with a smile.

After I finally found my keys and opened the door we finally climbed the stairs up to my apartment. The elevator was broken at the moment.

"Do you guys want anything to drink?" I asked after we entered my apartment.

"Beer would be great..." Dee Dee replied and Joey nodded in agreement. 

"Okay just a sec." I walked to the fridge and took 3 bottles of beer out of it. As I got back I saw Joey sitting on my couch and playing with my two cats while Dee Dee was looking at some family pictures I placed all over the wooden windowsills.

"Is that you?" he pointed at one of my sisters. "No that picture is quite recent. I'm not on it. That's my fifteen year old sister Ruby." I explained.
"Ahhh..." he smiled "but that's you right?" he pointed at one of the pictures that a friend of mine, a photographer, took of me. It was me, leaning on a balcony. I was wearing a red faux fur jacket and a black leather skirt with fishnets underneath. My hair was as messy as ever and my lipstick was smudged all over my face. He called it 'art'.
I nodded, "Yeah that's me. It's from a photoshoot I did with a friend."
"That's a pretty picture." Dee Dee said with a sweet smile.
"Thank you.." I said, smiling back at him.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Joey asked after having joined us by going down memory lane. He held one of my cats in his arms while inspecting my pictures.
The picture he was referring to was one of me with a guy who had one arm around my shoulders.

"Gosh, no. That's me and my older brother Lionel." I said with a laugh.
"Oh I'm sorry..." he said, being slightly embarrassed.
"Well you should be sorry because her boyfriend wouldn't appreciate being mistaken for her brother now would he?" Dee Dee said playfully.

I shook my head, still laughing softly, "There is no boyfriend."
It was a little hard admitting that because they seemed to be so convinced that there was someone in my life. There wasn't. Unfortunately? or Fortunately? Who even knows.

"Damn my bad."
"Yeah, mine too."

"It's fine! No big deal. I'm pretty happy about living with Patsy and George." I smiled at Patsy, who was about to fall asleep in Joeys arm and at George who was asleep on the couch.

"As much as I can imagine that, I must say that I might just steal little Patsy away from you." Joey said, softly patting her tiny head.

"Honestly, I don't think she'd even mind." I laughed, looking at them.

_______________

"So, be honest. How were your first days with us? What do you think of us?" Dee Dee asked.

We were now all sat on my couch and drinking beer and talking.

At first I was thinking about not telling the truth but then I felt like I could just be honest with them. I trusted those two.

"Well, Dee Dee, I'm really grateful for how you treated me from the first moment on when we saw each other. You have made me feel so welcome from the get go and this really means a lot. I enjoy your company a lot." I said, smiling at Dee Dee, and then I looked at Joey. "About you... at first I thought you didn't like me or wanted me around but it turned out that you were really just tired and I'm glad that you opened up a little because I enjoy talking to you a lot." I gave him the same warm smile as Dee Dee. "Tommy seems extremely sweet and nice as well. Johnny... well I think you already know. He didn't want me around from the first second I walked into your hotel room. He told me earlier that he didn't see the point in having a manager and so on but... What can you do?" I shrugged.

They both rolled their eyes. "He tried to be our manager because he likes bossing us around. We obviously didn't want that though. That's why we needed a consistent manager in the first place. He's gonna come around." Dee Dee explained and emptied the beer with a big gulp.

"I've got time and patience." I replied.

"Yes you definitely do..." Joey said, smiling at me. He did after all compliment me on my patience yesterday.

I did always pride myself on my patience, so that compliment meant a lot to me no matter how much he said it. Due to that, I felt myself slightly starting to blush. Wow, great.

Dee Dee looked at Joey first and then at me, looking at his smile and my red face and rose one eyebrow.

"Anyway.... Rains can we stay the night?"

"Well technically yes... You would either have to share the couch or the bed though... I would suggest you two share my bed... the couch is way to small... I'm gonna take it."

I wanted to add a reminder that he doesn't have to adress me by my last name but it seemed like he was comfortable doing so, so I let it be. I didn't really mind anyway.

"Thanks Ellie I appreciate it." Joey said and and looked at me with a big smile.

"Sure no problem!" I then stood up and led them to my small bedroom. "Here it is. Make yourself comfortable. The bathroom is here!", I pointed at the door next to it.

________________

I've been laying on the couch for 2 hours right now but I can't seem to fall asleep or even get tired. I was simply just laying there while simultaniously petting George and Patsy.

A few seconds passed when I heard a dull noise of something colliding with the door, closely followed by a "Fuck!"

I got up from the couch and made my way to the door where Joey was standing while rubbing his head.

"Sorry for waking you up..." he mumbled.

"Hey don't worry about it, I wasn't sleeping anyway. Are you okay?" I looked up at him, slightly concerned.

"I'm fine... I was naive enough to think that I could make my way to the kitchen without my glasses... now I'm walking against doors and can't even recognize your face properly." he laughed, embarrassment present in his voice.

"Sit down. I'll get you your glasses. Dee Dee has a deep sleep right?", I recalled.
"He does." Joey said and slowly sat down on the couch.

I quietly stepped into the bedroom and saw the rose coloured glasses on the nightstand. I grabbed them and walked back to the living room.

I handed Joey his glasses and he put them back on, relief spreading all over his face.

"Thank you..." he said gratefully.

I smiled "Did you want anything to drink?" I asked, suspecting that this was the reason for his walk to the kitchen.

"Actually yes... a glass of water would be wonderful right now please..."

"One sec!" I said and got him a glass of water.

"Is it our fault that you have troubles sleeping?" he asked, taking a sip of his water.

"Maybe... I don't know... I guess I got so used to being alone all the time..." I admitted.

"I'm sorry about that... We'll make sure to keep you company whenever it's possible."

I couldn't help but smile like a fool at how sweet this was. Joey really had a way with words and I'm pretty sure that he was good at enchanting women with his charme.

"I would love that."