Chapter 17

I feel like it has been so long since I wrote about Annabelle and Hale! This probably isn’t going to be the best chapter, but I have to get it down.

Chapter 17

Thrum. ThRuM. THRUM.

“That’s what you think we should do?” I was keeping my voice steady-the same as usual.

He was shuffling through our plans, trying to find the last page for the last scene. He hadn’t noticed my trembling voice so maybe I was a better actress than I thought myself to be.

“Yeah,” he says, furrowed in concentration as he wrote the plans down.

That feeling-the one you get after you have sent your crush a daring text message-fills my mind. The limitless possibilities of how he would respond, whether it was dangerous territory or you just made a step towards your future. It could be somewhere in the gray, but it was also a great chance, a great risk. Your stomach feels empty, void of all and any organs, simply hollow.

It was a simple plan, but altogether one I didn’t want to go through with. I imagine getting close to someone I didn’t know. It didn’t feel right.

My focus returns when I notice Hale look up. I see a trace of…aggravation? But it’s wiped away sooner than I can properly identify it.

His eyes are studying me and I squirm under his gaze, looking away.

“Are you okay with that?” I look up towards him and squeak out a ‘mhm.’

Just then a loud clang! comes from another room and then footsteps sound down a stairway.

I jump, darting my gaze over to Hale as he turns around to where the sound came from.

At the same time, a woman with light blonde hair that falls carelessly over her shoulders enters the kitchen.

She looks over to the table we’re at and as soon as she sees me, she smiles.

“Hello sweetie, you must be Annabelle,” she says coming over to us.

I smile back at the woman.

“I’m Annalise, Hale’s mom. Have you had any breakfast this morning? I could make some French toast?”

I give a nod, smiling, and then she gives a pointed look to Hale, “And you young man, have you eaten this morning?”

I think I see an eye roll from Hale and it almost makes me laugh because it is so unlike his mature behavior, “yes.”

“Good,” she clucks, “Now, I only have to make French toast for myself.”