Chapter 1

Finn's P.O.V.

I walked in the front door of my house after I got some books from the Leary and saw my mom sitting on the couch in a red sundress.
"Hey. Why are you all dressed up for?" I asked her putting my bag down.
"We're going to Nigel's house to meet his kids. Go get ready." She answered.
I sighed and walked upstairs to my room.
I changed into a long sleeved shirt with a denim button up over it along with camouflage pants and a black hat.

I went downstairs and mom was waiting for me.
"Come on, honey. We're gonna be late." She told me as I got my shoes on.
We walked to the van and got in.
She started driving and I looked out the window.
"So how was the library?" She asked me.
I gave her a thumbs up and she said "Did you get any good books?"
I shook my head yes and she smiled.

She started rambling about how her day was and how much she loves planning weddings and events. She never married my dad so she never had a wedding before. They stayed together because of me and they thought that I couldn't hear them arguing but I heard ever word of it. All the horrible things they said about each other. And about me. They both didn't want me and they both would never actually say it, but I knew they didn't want a child. Hell, my mom doesn't even like me now. She doesn't care about what I do or where I go.

I was pulled away from my thoughts when mom pulled into a driveway of a decent sized house with lots of space in the yard. I saw mom smile as she spotted Nigel coming towards us and she got out of the van quickly to greet him.
I slowly got out of the van and Nigel smiled at me.
I waved slightly and he said "Let's go inside."
We walked to his front door and into his living room where three boys were sitting on the couch.

"Boys, this is Sophie's son, Finn. Finn, these are my sons; Silas, Kyle and Tanner." Nigel introduced.
The boys glared at me and I looked down at the ground.
"Well, we're gonna go get dinner started in the kitchen and you boys can get to know each other." Nigel said and walked out of the room with mom.
I sat down in the armchair far away from the couch and went on my phone.

I scrolled through my Instagram for five minutes until somebody said "What's Finn short for?"
I didn't respond and they threw a couch pillow at me.
I picked it up and didn't throw it back.
"Finley." I lied.

They didn't say anything and I went back to scrolling through my phone.
"What grade you going into?" Someone asked after a few minutes.
I held up nine fingers and they laughed.
"You won't survive highschool. You'll get beat up and trampled within the first day." They laughed.
I rolled my eyes at them and Nigel came back into the room.
"Dinner should be ready in ten minutes guys." He told us.
We nodded and he went back into the kitchen.
"We're going into grade eleven." One of them said.
I ignored them and they started talking to each other about random stuff I didn't pay attention to.

After ten minutes, Nigel called us from the kitchen and I followed his kids to wherever it was.
I sat down next to the tallest kid since it was the only open seat and we started eating dinner.
"So boys, did you get to know each other?" Nigel asked.
"Yeah. Finn's great." One of the kids from the other side of the table answered.
"Good. I'm glad to hear that, Tanner." Nigel replied.
Okay, so his name is Tanner, but the one sitting next to him looks just like him but with black hair. So that's either Kyle or Silas.
For the rest of dinner, I stayed quiet and they talked to mom and Nigel about summer vacation and sports.