Chapter 3: "Fugly Skank"

Amber's Journal-

Friday.

I've yet to establish any radical character development in my novel, and I'm running out of time. I've only finished three quarters of it, I've yet to edit, and if I don't have the first manuscript sent to the publisher by this time next week, they're going to drop my book. I sent what I've written so far to Ariel for proof-reading, but it's remained, untouched, in the back seat of her car for two and a half weeks now. I can't expect much from her, she hasn't a free moment with the election around the corner. I'll simply have to do my best and manage on my own in the meantime. I wonder if-

*knock, knock*

"Ginnifer? Am I interrupting?" Ariel looked down at the small leather journal I was so passionately writing into.

I don't usually make journal entries during the work day, but I had more on my mind than I could conceivably bear. The children's charity event would begin in the next 24 hours, and the inevitable outcome of Paul Whitman's speech would either make or break the future of my career. I was a tad on edge, to say in the least.

"No... No, I was just taking a break to gather my thoughts."

"Good." Her heels clacked against the tile as she walked toward my desk. "You should take a moment to wind-down more often."

"Yep." I shifted my attention and smacked the notebook shut before her wandering eyes could gaze at my private writings.

Ariel exhaled a sarcastic scoff before stealthily snatching the journal from my direct possession. "Now, now... Why so secretive, Dearest Ginnifer?"

God damn it, Ariel. Can't you mind your own fucking business?

She paced the room as she continued to tease aloud, "What's hidden within this little black booklet that you're so keen to keep from me, hmmm?"

"I'm not hiding anything from you." I stood quickly and followed in her hurried steps. "It's my journal. Please give it back... It's personal."

"Wait... I see my name in here." She came to a holt and scanned over the cream-colored pages. "And I thought you weren't hiding anything from me?"

"I'm not; I told you. I simply use it to sort through my thoughts from time to time. Sometimes your name happens to be mentioned, sue me."

She brought her focus towards me and closed the booklet, offering it back for me to take. "Whatever. I haven't got the time to be nosy about it. Just don't clip old pictures of me and write 'fugly skank' along the crevice. You may be blond and beautiful, but you're no Rachel McAdams. 'Kay?"

"Yeah." I giggled. "I'll try my best to fight the unnerving temptation."

"Good." Ariel took hold of her long ponytail and pulled tightly at each end to keep the thick band in place. "Now, on a more work-oriented topic, have you edited the speech like Paul requested?"

"Yes, I sent a virtual copy of the final draft to his email, along with the UNICEF acknowledgements. As for the hard copy, I have the pages sorted and numbered right over there on my desk."

With a look of appeasement, she walked over and took the folder containing Paul's speech from the basket on my desk's corner. "Excellent. I'll keep this in my car for safe-keeping. That way, it'll stand no chance of getting lost or left behind with some intern."

*Ding! Ding!*

Ariel's phone lit up with a new message notification from Paul.

4:27pm: 'Where are you!?'

"Crap!" She shrieked as she tried to grab her belongings and text at the same time. "I-I've gotta go. I'll uh... I'll call you tonight to make sure everything is in order for the event."

Right, the event... Don't remind me.

"Yeah, sure thing!" I forced a smile upon my face, waving enthusiastically as she walked out of my office.

God, please don't let tomorrow be a disaster.