Chapter 2: This Doesn't Mean Anything

Alex stared at Thomas awkwardly, while Thomas did the same to Alex.

"One second!" Alex said, putting on a fake smile and walking over to the bathroom, locking himself in there.

He thought he heard Thomas say, "No need for formalities..." as he closed the toilet lid, burying his face in his hands and weeping.

"How could this happen? How could my worst nightmare be reality?" Alex asked himself, his hands soaked by his own tears. He then thoight of something that would definately male him feel better...but he couldn't. He had been working so hard just to get to the point he was at. But he needed this.

Didn't he?

Alex nodded, getting up and sneaking into the kitchen. Thankfully, Thomas didn't notice. He didn't need that attention.

Alex grabbed a knife from the drawer, closing it as he did opening it.

Silently.

He held the knife to his wrist, biting his lip nervously. He hadn't cut himself in a while, and didn't really remember what it felt like.

He was about to back out when the toxic voice that he knew all too well crept into his brain.

You're weak.

This is your punishment.

You'll never amount to anything.

Everyone hates you.

Alex nodded. He knew that this was the right thing to do. He dragged the knife across his wrist. He winced, looking at the blood dripping down his arm. In a weird way, the pain felt good. He smirked to himself and dragged it down his arm for the second time. Only this time, it was deeper than before. "Kyah!" he hissed. But he then covered his mouth, knowing Thomas had heard him.

Meanwhile, in Thomas' corner, he was watching TV when he heard this squeak/quiet screech come from the kitchen.

He raised an eyebrow and stood up, dusting himself off. "He's probably freaking out about not finding the sugar cookies in the cabinets," he muttered, chuckling to himself. "This is why I love high shelves." He stepped into the kitchen and gasped, covering his mouth.

In the kitchen, there was Alex, holding a knife to his wrist with blood dripping down his arm and the knife.

"J-Jefferson...it's n-not what it looks like..," Alex stuttered, putting the knife in the sink and putting his hands behind his back.

Thomas was frozen with shock. Am I...am I the cause of this..? he thought, looking at the nervous man in front of him. He didn't want to admit it, but he felt bad for Alex. So he sighed and did something that Alex didn't expect him to do.

Thomas walked up to Alex and grabbed his wrist from behind his back. He scanned all the old scars and sighed. "How long?" he simply asked.

Alex mumbled something that Thomas couldn't hear.

"What?" Thomas asked, turning on the water and beginning to wash out the fresh cuts on Alex's arms.

"I said, since you started bullying me," Alex said. He was still quiet, but Thomas could understand him.

Right as Alex said that, Thomas was about to turn the water off, but Alex's words made Thomas' hand freeze. It was weakly holding on to the handle.

It was my fault.., Thomas thought, biting his lip. "I'm..." He sighed, not believing what he was gonna say to his enemy. "I'm sorry, Hamilton."

Alex looked at Thomas like he was crazy, the warm water still falling into his throbbing wrist. "I'm sorry, what..?" he asked quietly.

Thomas rolled his eyes, actually shutting the water off. He got a towel and began crying Alex's wrist. "You heard me, Hamilton. Don't make me say it again."

Alex nodded weakly. "I mean...it's not--it's fine..."

It really wasn't. Thomas had put an emotional toll on Alex forever, and all he could say to him was "I'm sorry." Although, that was a pretty big deal coming from Thomas. But still not a big enough deal to forgive him.

Thomas looked confused. "Really?" he asked, putting the towel away.

Alex nodded, Although he was lying.

Thomas gave a small smile as he said, "Be right back." He went into the bathroom and got bandages.

When Thomas was in the bathroom, Alex was trying to process the situation that had occurred.

Does he care?

Why would he stop me?

Alex smiled a bit at the thought of Thomas not as hateful and despicable as he seemed.

Thomas came back out, smirking slightly. "What are you smiling about?"

Alex looked at Thomas, feeling his face heat up from embarrassment. "Nothing..."

Thomas nodded, wrapping the bandages around Alex's wrist.

Alex didn't know why at the time, but Thomas touching him made him want to burst into a ball of fireworks.

Why do I feel this way? he thought, knitting his eyebrows together.

His thoughts were interrupted when Thomas' hands left his wrist. "Done. All better."

Alex smiled. "Thank you."

Thomas stuffed his hands in his jeans' pockets, looking at the ceiling awkwardly. "Yeah, yeah...whatever."

Alex was about to say something else, when Thomas cut him off.

"Listen up, Hamilton. This doesn't mean anything. We still hate each other, right?"

Alex opened his mouth to speak, but shut it when he realized he had nothing to say. So he simply nodded. Although he wished it were different between them two. That they were acquaintances. Or maybe even friends.

Thomas nodded, smirking. "Good." He then lightly smacked Alex upside the head. "See ya around, squirrel."

Something about Thomas' nature seemed different. It seemed more joking than hurtful. Alex chuckled and nodded as Thomas walked away, still smirking.

Maybe we can be friends after all, Alex thought, smiling.