Ch. 1: Trapped

It was silent as the grave in the camp. Or what was left of it, anyways.

The ripped flags and ruined swords of fallen friends and family were handed around, and soft whispers of comfort where lost amid the tides of wailing relatives.

This, you thought, wasn't helpful to you.

Walking through the camp, surrounded by a group of your fellow humans you went. Scorned. Hated.
Several monsters spit at your feet. More than a few gripped their weapons tighter, seeing the dust on your cloaks.
Not dust you had taken.
But it was from those you knew. Humans.

In front of the royal family's tent your group stopped. Out front stood four figures:
King Asgore, recently gaining the title after his father's unfortunate Falling.
Queen Toriel, his wife and fellow ruler.
General Gerson, the turtle like monster with a shell of steel.
And W. D. Gaster, the recently enstated Royal Scientist.
(Author-chan breaks fourth wall: turtle dude and goop dad! You know this gonna be good.)

"Your Highness." You said, feeling the silence pressing on your ears. The others did likewise.
A group of rebels, each with different skills.
You held out your hands.
In them you held a large, ornate dagger, almost a sword in your hands.
The late king's favorite weapon.

Asgore turned, took the dagger, and studied it. His face was a mask of pain, and, looking up, he stared up at Mt. Ebbot.

"Tomorrow..." He whispered. Looking at your group, the smallest fragment of a smile crossed his face. "You... Know not how much this means to me. I... Wish you a good life, here... On the surface..." and turning, he made to go inside the ramshackle tent. Your voice was loud as you stopped him.

"We are going with you."

He stiffened, and an audible gasp rippled around the clearing.

Gerson, ever doubtful, gruffly spoke. "For what? So you can kill us in a contained space?"

One of your comrads, a woman, replied, "We have no future here. Us getting that dagger... Our chances of survival have lessened considerably."

Another, a male this time, backed up her statement with these simple words.
"Not all humans hate monsters."

°°°

The sun rose slowly over a massive gathering of both people and monsters.
But this was no celebration.
The human rulers smiled with wicked satisfaction at the scene before them.

Mt. Ebbot's gargantuan base held many caves. The larger were filled with the entirety of monster kind. Soon to be sealed underground.
Seemingly forever.

And, out of sight, a small group of humans stood.

You watched over the heads of monsters as the human king raised his hands in an order to start.
Mages began to chant, a spell so ghastly sounding that even the toughest monsters trembled in fear. It was a haunting song, echoing around the caverns.

"Sad, isn't it?" A quiet voice said beside you. You jumped.

Beside you stood Gaster, his expression quite blank. But his eye sockets showed differently.

"Yes." Was all you replied. Most monsters ignored or avoided talking with you, and this was hardly a good time to start.

The chanting rose to a chresendo, and a visible... Film? Began to cover the caves entrance.

"Why do you want to remain with us? Trapped here, for the rest of your life?"
He sounded genuinly confused.

"Monsters are... Nicer. More intelligent. Than humans." You said slowly. Turning to look at the skeleton. "They accept you as you are, despite flaws."

Gaster raised a brow bone. "Oh? Stupid, it seems. I hear you are throwing a very promising scientific career for a silly venture like this."

You were confused as to how he even knew that, but shook your head. "We," you gestured to your fellow humans. "Want to show that not all of us are hateful, proud idiots. We reapect monsters."

Gaster just looked at you. And then, to your suprise, he threw back his head and laughed.
Not a pleasant one. No, quite dark, in fact.

"You are stupid, if you call that a protest."
And with that, he walked away.

One of your friends nudged you. "What was that?"

But before you could respond, a deathly hush fell over the crowd.
But why was it so quiet?

That's when you noticed the light.
Pulsing, white, it had blocked the entrance to the caves. And the exit.

You were trapped. And you felt that in your chest, a sickening, twisting feeling of dread.

You looked up, and saw Gaster, standing perhaps 30 feet away, giving you a knowing look.
You turned as your stomach decided to crawl up your throat to the floor.

°°°
First Chapter! First book! Yay!

I seriously had fun writing this chapter, though in all actuality I wanted to just go and write juicy interesting stuff. *Shrugs*

Anywho, drop a comment or a vote if ya feel like it! Especially comments, because I enjoy giving stupid responses XD