Chapter 5: Orphans

Oooo, whole chapter from Gaster's pov! Fun, fun.

°°

Gaster walked slowly through Hotland, untroubled by the heat. The rush of monsters heading home had died down, and it was once again silent, save the sound of the magma from the depths below.

Quite peaceful.

The steely front he usually put on melted away as he came in sight of his home. He lived in an apartment in the city, but had plans to move to Snowdin within the year. The silence would be refreshing.

As Gaster came up on his front door, he paused at the sound of a bang and yell from inside. This was followed by several thuds.

He hesitantly pushed the door open...

Only to be greeted by a pillow to the face.

"I thought the war already happened, didn't it?" He called out dryly, though a smile was on his face. A small squeak came from the closet, and a small bundle of white and orange tumbled out.

"DADDY!!!" It squealed, rushing at Gaster and jumping on him.

Gaster chuckled and picked it up. He pulled away a sheet to reveal a little skeleton with a toothy grin, his face smushed up against Gaster's chest.

"What's going on, Papyrus?" The older asked. Papyrus giggled.

"WE'RE PLAYING HIDE AND SEEK," he whisper-yelled, putting the sheet back on his head. "SO-"

"HA!" A female voice yelled fom down the hall, "found ya, punk!!!"

There stood a girl in her mid teens, holding what looked like spatula. She faltered as she took stock of Gaster in the doorway.

"Oh hey, Doc!" She grinned, saluting. Picking up a bag by the door, she moved to leave. "Since you're home I'll-"

He interrupted quickly. "Where is Sans, Undyne?"

She stiffened a bit. "He... He's still in bed."

"All day again?"

"Yeah."

Gaster sighed, and nodded. "Thanks for watching them Undyne. I know you'd rather be spending time with your father-"

"It's... It's okay Doc. Um... I'll see ya later."

She pushed past him out the door, suddenly quiet.

Gaster shrugged off his coat and hurried through the apartment. A door at the end of the hall stood slightly ajar, and he quickly pushed it open.

The room was small, with two twin beds, a lamp, and a dresser. And on the bed farthest from the door lay a small skeleton.

He was shaking silently, with a blanket wrapped round him.

"Sans, have you been in bed all day again?" the doctor began, setting down Papyrus and walking over. The skeleton shifted slightly but didn't make a move to get up.

"...yeah."

Gaster cast a worried gaze over Sans as Papyrus clambered up a table, then lept onto the bed beside his brother.

"DAD.... WHAT... What's wrong with Sans?" He asked, looking frightened.

"Your brother isn't doing well, I'm afraid... But don't worry, he'll get better. He needs to rest." Gaster picked Papyrus up and set him on the ground. "Go get him something to eat, hmm?"

The little skeleton raced away, and Gaster turned to back to Sans, who had finally shifted and was looking at him with dark sockets filled with tears.

"i'm too tired to get up... i haven't slept any."
He said, whispering.

For once Gaster wished he wasn't the Royal Scientist, so that he could just stay at home with his sons and not have to worry about something blowing up.

He picked up Sans and cradled him, the smaller skeleton starting to sob.

"I keep having nightmares... And I see my parents killed, and I see all the blood and then turning to dust right in front of us... And I'm too scared to sleep cause if I do they'll just come back..."

The older skeleton lay Sans back down and placed a hand on the child's skull, humming softly. A purple light came off it, and Sans' eyesockets began to close. He finally drifted off into an, albeit fitful, sleep.

"Goodnight Sans," he murmured, getting up and exiting the room.

He bumped into Papyrus, who was carrying a plate of...

Well, he wasn't completely sure what it was, something including crackers and cheese, but mushed together in some sort of concoction. The little skeleton held up the plate proudly, and Gaster didn't have the heart to ask what the hell was on that plate.

"Time for bed, Papy."

"But Sans-"

Gaster held up his finger and shook his head. "No buts. Bedtime. You're brother will eat in the morning. How bought I make you two breakfast? Does that sound good?"

Papyrus nodded and shuffled away to his bedroom.

Gaster could have sworn he heard a small "Goodnight Sans" as he turned out the light.

--

"Papyrus, turn off that toy car!"

"IT'S NOT ON, DADDY!"

"Then why do I hear it?!"

"I DONT KNOW!"

Gaster groggily lifted his head of the pillow. What was that annoying sound-

The alarm clock. It was beeping.

8:00.

...

"OH F@CK!!!" He yelled, jumping out of bed.
He hastily began getting dressed, and stopped for a moment as Papyrus pushed the door open.

"DADDY?"

"Yes Papy?!"

"WHAT DOES 'F@CK' MEAN?"

Gaster ran past him and to the kitchen, where he picked up the phone and dialed a number. "Doesn't matter what f@ck means, don't repeat it."

"Hello, Undyne speak-"

"UNDYNE, GET YOUR FISHY ASS UP HERE AND WAYCH MY CHILDREN BECAUSE I SLEPT IN ON ACCIDENT."

"..."

"I'll be right up."

Gaster threw on his coat and raced to the door. "Papyrus, don't say ass or f@ck, let Undyne in when she gets here, and make sure your brother eats something. I'll see you later!!!"

And with that he raced out the door.

°°

Sorry for the short chapter, been extremely busy between my Deltarune Oneshot book and school. I'll be trying to put more time into this book.

Love ya my pepes. We'll get some more action in the next chapter.