Ch. 2: "Now Accepting Applications"

9 months later

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Scribble scrabble scribble.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

You set down the pencil with a sigh. Monitering an injured monsters IV machine was not the most exciting thing to do with your day.

But was there ever anything very exciting? You doubted it.

Your first year in the Underground was not an extremely pleasant one. You had managed to get a job at the small hospital in the Capital, as the construction of the city began. Injuries while building happened often, so it was good money for you.

However, many monsters didn't like you tending to them. Most we're still wary of you, being human.
Not to mention all your friends had left to try and find there place in this strange Underground. You were often alone.

And, despite being down here for at least a year, monsters had only recently begun to move out of the many large caves, further into the depths of the mountain. It did give more breathing room in the city, that was certain.

You turned to leave the room, and closing the door behind you, set off down the hall.

You turned the corner and came up on a strange sight. A bunch of younger doctors and nurses were crowded excitedly around a vending machine, pointing at something.

Clearing your throat, you moved forward. "Er... What's going on?"

For once, no one gave you a sneer or glare. One of them held up a newspaper. "Come look at this!"

On the front page was a picture of the Royal Scientist... Gaster? You hadn't seen the skeleton ever since the Barrier went up. He looked like he'd rather be anywhere but there, getting his photo taken. Beside him stood Asgore, along with his four assistants who worked at the lab in Hotland.

"Listen to this," the one holding the paper started, "'W. D. Gaster, the Royal Scientist, has been commissioned by King Asgore to find a steady source of energy for all monsterkind!' Isn't that cool!"

You nodded, knowing just how true it was. Keeping light in the many homes and machines running on magic from the monsters alone was taxing, and it wasn't very dependable.

"But here's the best part!" The monster continued, his smile stretching across his face. "'This project will be perhaps the largest known to monster or humankind. It will most likely take years to finish, therefore, by the King's request, all eligible are welcome to apply for internship at the lab, in hopes of finding fitting workers for this venture!'"

You noted that the paper said 'At the King's request," not Gaster's. The Royal Scientist did have a reputation for being difficult to work with and extremely brakish, not the type to befriend others.

"All I know is that I'm going tomorrow to apply," he said, and the others began to chatter about "Me to!" And all that.

Moving away, your eyes were downcast as you thought about the applications.

It would be a change, you thought.

IF you got accepted. And that was the deciding factor.

Because, being honest with yourself, why would they want you, a human, working on their most precious creation?

°°°

Hotland was hot. Hence the name.

Bossmonsters might suck at names, but they knew how to be truthful.

And, despite feeling like you were being roasted on a stake, you had chosen to wear a long sleeved button up shirt, tie and vest included, for the sake of professionalism.

Boy, it was hot. (Sans: very punny... Author: shut it Sans.)

The lab was a confused mess of monsters, and the unfortunate lab employees were running circles trying to herd them all.

"Please, sit down! That hall is OFF LIMITS, yes, you in the green!"

Trying to stay out of the way, you scooted into a corner, but jumped as a squeaky voice behind you let out a "Oof!" noise.

Turning, you saw a yellow, lizard-like female monster behind you. She was no more than five feet tall, and looked to be about 15.

"Oh, g-gosh, I-I'm sorry!" She muttered, straightening the glasses on her face.

"It's really fine!" You assured her. She grinned only to look shocked as she realized-

"Y-you're a human!" She exclaimed. Blushing as she realized how rude that was she managed to say, "I'm Alphys!" Before rushing away, berating herself.

"Wa-" you started, but all of a sudden a shout came from  across the room.

"HEY! YOU THREE! STAY AWAY FROM THAT DOOR!!"

Looking over, you saw three giggly girls, hands on the knob of a door off to the side of the lobby.

The monster who had yelled at them was one of Gaster's personal assistants, and the color drained from his face as the three girls cracked the door.

"DONT OPEN IT, THAT'S THE DOC-"

And then he fell silent.

The entire room did.

And you felt like you'd been petrified.

Because, there in the doorway, stood Docter W.D. Gaster, looking out at the room with an absolutely murderous grin on his face.

°°°

OwO
They made a mistake, didn't they?

I can't believe I wrote it in two hours.
But I'm feeling INSPIRED.
It's nice not having writer's block for once in my life XD.

Votes and comments make this little potato's heart burst, if your feeling obliged. So yeah.
TILL THE NEXT CHAPTER.