2

It was a three day drive full of creepy motels in the middle of nowhere. Until we reached middle of nowhere 2.0. We drove past dozens of skyscraper trees and buildings that looked like they hadn't been remodeled since the Prohibition.  We drove up to a wooden house.  The window shutters were falling apart, the screen door was falling off the hinges.  It was by no definition of the word a nice house.

   "Get your shit and get out the car. " My father's equivalent to welcome home. I got out, grabbed my box and my duffel bag and headed inside. I was only allowed to have as many clothes as would fit in the duffel bag and only allowed to have as much "stuff" as would fit in the box.  The box mostly contained of

hygiene supplies: toothbrush, hair stuff, that sort of thing. 

  "The room closest to the front of the house.  That way if some nutjob comes in he'll find you first." my father said as he shuffled past me with his own bags in hand.  Duffel and box in hand I made my way to my new room.

  It was maybe the smallest room I had ever been in.  The wallpaper was hanging off the walls and the wooden floors creaked with every step.  Another paradise.

   First day of school in a small town is dreadful. In towns where everybody knows everyone having a new person is like having a shiny new object. 

   "Hi," I heard someone say from behind me. I kept walking assuming they weren't speaking to me. "Hey, New Girl!" I finally turned around.

   "Hello," I said.

   "Well my name is Destany most people call me Des," she held out her hand expectantly.  I shook it. She was a beautiful girl. She had big curly hair and a slender body.

   "Danielle, or Dani for short" I said.  "I'm new here."

   "Everyone knows that Dani" she said with a smirk on her face.  "What I want to know is how you found our small little town."

   I just looked at her.  I couldn't help but wonder why she would be talking to me.  I was never the new kid people wanted to meet.  My father always said there was just something off about me.  No one wanted to be around a creep.  I held onto that.  I'm used to people shifting away from me.  Not walking towards me.

   "Hellooo. Earth to Dani!" I faltered in step and almost tripped. Luckily someone caught me.

   "Woah!" My catcher looked to Destany. "Is this Danielle?" I finally looked up and my breath caught in my throat. He had these icy blue eyes and for the first five seconds I didn't notice anything else.  Eventually my eyes moved down to his sculpted body. Woah.

   "Yeah Will this is Danielle," replies Destany.

   "She looks nice enough," Will smiled down at me.