2 | Tricks and Treats

"Hey Max!" Her cheerful voice made the boy in the blue hoodie turn around, watching as Nikki stood next to Harrison.

"Nikki," he stated. Max narrowed his eyes, closely observing Harrison's hand as he did a trick. He had already been traumatized by the boy's stunts, trying to prove to Neil that magic was real. He suffered through retching out tied rags and even a live creature exiting out his mouth.

It had been absolutely horrifying.

Harrison reached behind Nikki's ear, and to Max's surprise, he pulled out a Snicker's bar. The green haired girl squealed in surprise, before pulling herself back.

"Harrison, how did you do that! Has that always been by my ear? Maybe I have a secret stash of chocolate and candy behind my ear all these years! Can you show me how, can you show me how?" Nikki peppered the magician with her questions. She was also jumping up and down, unable to contain her excitement.

Harrison took a bow and smiled at her. "Only through magic," he spreaded his arms, "can that happen."

Max rolled his eyes, but didn't respond to that. He had enough of the trickster's tricks.

"Ooooo, teach me please, teach me!" Nikki persisted.

It was as if she didn't learn from the last time he tried to teach her magic.

The way Nikki stared at Harrison adoringly, annoyed Max and fueled a different type of anger in him. He didn't bother trying to identify it. He grabbed Nikki's wrist.

"C'mon Nikki, let's see what Space Kid is up to." Max started to pull her away.

However, she pulled away from him, and broke out of his grip from his hand. "Max, I wanna learn how to get candy from behind my ear. Think of all the real chocolate bars we could eat!" She said.

"Yeah Max." Harrison put his hand on Nikki's shoulder. "She wants to learn some magic. Anyways, Nikki always spends time with you. One afternoon apart won't hurt you."

That strange anger flared up in Max again, upon seeing Harrison's hand on Nikki's shoulder. He was about to open his mouth to retort until Neil ran up to them.

"Max! Nikki! I tried fixing Max's coffee machine but now it's out of control!" The boy exclaimed, throwing his hands up. "It tried to kill me!"

"Sorry Neil, maybe another time. Harrison's going to teach me magic!" Nikki replied, then trailed after Harrison to his section of the camp.

Neil scoffed. "One day Harrison, one day." Then he turned to Max.

"I can't believe Nikki." Max muttered angrily.

"The coffee machine!" Neil pulled on the sleeve of Max's hoodie, and took him to the tent. There, the coffee machine was whirring angrily, and to Max's surprise, had wires for hands and was chucking their possessions towards them.

──

"Neil. What the fuck did you do to the coffee machine." Max asked, irritated.

The two boys were both sitting on the seats inside the camp's lunchroom, exhausted from trying multiple ways to stop the evil coffee machine.

"I tried to fix it. I know you need your coffee and it was broken. I thought I'd try fixing it up." Neil looked down, seemingly disappointed.

Max felt a tiny bit of guilt. He didn't mean to be that harsh to Neil. He wasn't that mad at him. It was Nikki. She left when her friends needed her help, and it was to be with Harrison.

"Neil, it's fine. Next time, just don't fuck it up. Seriously, how did it grow wire hands." Max looked up as the cafeteria's door opened and a certain green-haired girl came rushing to their table.