3 | Hoodie's Warmth

"Max! Max! Max! C'mon, what if we'll never see the snow again? Stay up with me until midnight?" Nikki's voice woke Max up, making the sleepy boy rubbed his eyes as he sat up.

Nikki stood in front of him, putting on her puppy-dog eyes as she pleaded.

"Nikki, what the fuck. It's time to sleep." Max said tiredly, his voice a bit gruff.

"But how are you sleepy?" Nikki said, her tone filled with disbelief. "It snowed! In the middle of summer! Don't you want to stay up? What if when we wake up tomorrow, the snow will magically vanish for some strange reason?" She said enthusiastically, sounding wide awake. Max knew that she wouldn't take a 'no' for an answer. The green-haired girl really wanted to watch the snow, and take him along.

"Why don't you take Neil instead? He's not the one who needs a decade of sleep." Max said with a snark, hoping Nikki would leave him be.

"Oh, I tried. I couldn't find him. Didn't he say something about 'important business' he had to do, earlier?" Nikki said. Max sighed, and got off his bed.

"Ooh! Max! Yay! You're coming! Come on! Come on!" Nikki started yapping excitedly, racing to the entrance of the tent and waiting for Max to catch up.

"I'm only going because who knows what trouble you'll get into by yourself." Max put his hands into his pockets. He had already been wearing his blue hoodie in, because it was cold as well as he liked to wear his hoodie at all times. Then he noticed that Nikki was wearing her normal clothes, red overalls and yellow shirt.

"Hey, aren't you cold?" Max asked, stating at her bare arms as she skipped around in the snow. His breath formed a cloud in front of him.

"No. How can I be cold when I've got the spirit of Christmas to warm me up!" Nikki replied. The moment she saw the little clouds his breath formed, she started playing with the cold air and her breath to create more clouds.

Max rolled his eyes at her ridiculousness, yet he smiled a small smile. There were some times where he could enjoy the child-like behavior of Nikki. It seemed out of place in camp, even if it was a kid's camp.

"It's not even Christmas." Max remarked.

Their footsteps left prints in the snow as they kept on walking. Although there was no said destination, Max didn't question where would they end up. Nikki skipped around as they walked among the trees that surrounded the camp. Occasionally snow would fall from a tree, causing Nikki to stare wildly around and look for where that had happened.

Max rubbed at his eyes, stinging from the night's cold air. He had begun to feel the chilliness, yet Nikki still looked as energized as ever.

Running around and circling around in the snow did keep her warm.

"All right Nikki. Time to go back. Aren't you tired?" Max said roughly, causing Nikki to pause and look at him with a sad expression.

"Aw Max! Let's stay for just a little bit more. Look at the clouds, it's going to snow any second!" Nikki pointed up, where dark clouds loomed overhead. Max couldn't tell if the clouds were really dark, or if they looked like that because of the night.

She stared at him expectantly, expressing sadness in the depths of her pink eyes. It had a startling effect on Max. He felt like couldn't deny her, but he didn't want to stay out either. He could've been taking a nice, long and warm sleep, or been drinking warm coffee. Although, Max wouldn't admit, it was quite nice being outside without the other campers, and the wintery night brought a subdued silence in the camp.

"Fine. But soon we're going back. I don't want to be stuck in Gwen and David's cabin with a case of hypothermia." He remarked, and Nikki jumped.

"Yay! Follow me Max, I want to show you something!" Nikki said, and she dashed off, leaving the boy to follow her trail.