Somebody That I Used To Know

For the next three days at school, I avoided Luca like the plague and by Friday, I was exhausted from my efforts

For the next three days at school, I avoided Luca like the plague and by Friday, I was exhausted from my efforts. Much to my disappointment, he hadn't given up and was using every opportunity to talk to me, although I was giving him the silent treatment.

"Hey," Rainn says as she sits opposite me at our usual lunch table. "You okay?"

I nod and pick up a French fry. I hadn't spoken that much to her since that day in the parking lot and she'd finally noticed. It wasn't even funny that she'd taken three days to notice my absence from her life and I was pissed about it.

I wasn't trying to be unreasonable. I understood the intoxication that accompanied a good relationship and I tried my best not to be hurt whenever she blew me off for Jace, but lately she was so preoccupied with him that she often completely forgot about me and that hurt.

"Are you all packed?" I shake my head. She knew that I wasn't. I hated packing for trips and always waited until the last possible minute. "I was thinking that I should over come tonight and help and then I'd just sleep over and we can come here together in the morning."

I munch on a few more fries while I contemplate her offer. Of course, I needed help to pack, but I'm mad at her and don't want to say yes only to be disappointed when she bails at the last minute. Again.

"That's not necessary." I don't say it with any malice. "My mom can help me pack and I'll just have Finn drop me off in the morning. Thanks though."

She sighs. "B, I'm sorry."

I shrug. It won't be the last apology that I'll get from her about abandoning me.

"That's it?"

I stare at her and although my heart melts at the sad look on her face, I don't give in. "What do you want me to say to that? It's an endless cycle of the same apology. You ditch me for a few days and then say that you're sorry and I forgive you and then a week later, it's on repeat." I push my tray away. "I'm over it. I'm over this."

She recoils like I've just slapped her, and tears pool in her eyes. "Do you want me to choose between you two?"

"Of course not. I'd never ask that of you."

A tear falls. "Then are you choosing for me? I feel as though you are and that it's not you."

I feel like an ass for making her cry, but I don't know how to stop. "I'm not. I just think that we should give each other space for a few days."

"No." She says it angrily and wipes her tears away. "We don't need space, B. You're my best friend, you can't just abandon me."

"Like you've done me?"

A silent minute passes between us and I almost apologize.

"Woah, what's going on here?" Jace asks, coming towards our table. He sits beside Rainn and pulls her into his arms. "What's the matter, babe?"