Chapter 5

((Did someone ask for angst? No? Well here's some anyhow ))

~~~~~~~~~Mark's POV~~~~~~~~~

Two hours, and much arguing later, the angels had moved... well anywhere else. Leaving Sean and I alone with the demon. They assure both of us he's powerless, though I keep myself between him and Jack, just in case.

Emma had explained vaguely what was supposed to happen, how she planned to get Anti off guard. It isn't a great plan by any means, but who are we to argue. Sean is supposed to talk to him, try to bring him down from this power-hungry monster he'd become. I don't doubt he can get through to the creature, the two of them had a strange bond, a certain connection I never quite understood. Sean had pity for his former demon. The angels want to use this no doubt. As for Dark, he knows Anti's power better than anyone else having helped control it for so long. We need him to find any possible weaknesses, anything to distract Anti for just a moment so the others can attack and hopefully end this.

Speaking of...

Dark keeps up an expression of dullness, one I'd never seen from him before, his once regal appearance wouldn't have allowed it. Then again, so much is different, he isn't the demon I once knew... and I can't yet tell whether it's a good thing. He sits still for the most part, posture respectable, except for the occasional roll of his shoulders. Hands bound behind his back like they are can't be comfortable, even for a creature such as him. For a second I get a glance of the cuffs that hold his wrists tightly, biting into the skin and leaving its gray tone almost red. They look like normal cuffs if not for the engravings that seem to almost glow in the dim lighting. A few symbols on each I can't hope to understand, I get a look for only a second before he turns towards me obstructing them from view.

"This is bullshit..."

Sean mutters to no one in particular. I shoot him a sympathetic look, almost wanting to reach over to touch him, if he weren't too far. He's positioned himself on almost the other side of the room, sulking with his arms childishly crossed across his chest.

Dark murmurs something that almost sounds like agreement, though I can't make out the wording. He doesn't look at the other male in the room however, keeping his attentions on either me or the shadowed surroundings of the room. He hasn't looked at Sean since that first time we walked in, it's almost strange. I remember the fondness he took to my boyfriend before everything happened, the certain obsession he had with that innocence Sean once had. Now he can hardly look at the male.

Too painful I suppose. I saw it when his eyes first laid on Sean, when we'd gotten over the shock of seeing him alive again. He looked like a lost puppy for a second, a certain kind of misplaced longing that quickly shattered before he'd covered it with that smile that never reached his eyes. A clear façade.

"Look, none of us want to be here, but we don't have a choice at this point... lets-"

"What's it like to die?"

Sean interrupts before I can even try to get this back on track. I shoot him a look that clearly shows how concerning that question is. Dark however gives a small smile, a seemingly real one for a moment. He looks up from the floorboard that had caught his wandering attention. His eyes land on Sean once again, and that smile shatters yet falsely stays up.

"Why do you want to know? Planning to take the easy way out on us?"

Sean doesn't move at his words, hardly blinks. His lips tighten into a frown, but he doesn't argue, doesn't snap, doesn't say anything, just gives this look. One that seems angry on the surface, but further down turns into a certain acknowledgement that concerns me.