16

5:56 pm.

"Why did you laugh?"

"Sorry?"

Jihoon's still sat in the same spot, Soonyoung less than a few feet away as he re-ties his shoelaces. He exhales slowly; the sweat on his forehead has dried a bit, and his hair sticks up in the oddest places from having run his fingers through it so many times - he's glowing, and Jihoon can't look at him for more than five seconds without feeling like he might forget how to breathe.

"When you were dancing, you laughed."

"Oh. I think I just saw your face."

Jihoon's nose scrunches instinctively, and he doesn't quite catch the panic that flicker's in Soonyoung's eyes when he says, "Thanks, I guess."

"No, wait, fuck - that's not what I meant. I mean, you just looked super impressed I - I just - I thought it was cute."

"Cute?"

"Well, not cute - I mean, yes, cute. But it was like - you know what? Nevermind. Forget I said anything. I just laugh sometimes, no reason for it."

Soonyoung's laces are tied, now, but he pulls on the string and undoes them, only to start tying them once more. He keeps his head bowed and Jihoon can't see his expression, but he can see the blush creeping up on his neck, and his heart beats.

"You thought I looked cute?"

Jihoon's heart beats the way it has his whole life, but a little faster; a little too fast, a little too hard. Jihoon's heart beats just as a heart should, but it makes him feel some way he's never felt before. Soonyoung snorts, seemingly embarrassed, and gives the slightest of nods.

Affection swells at the back of his throat, so great and so strong Jihoon thinks he might just choke on it.

"Well, for the record, I was impressed."

"Thanks," the boy says, a quiet smile forming.

And Jihoon finds that he quite likes the idea of being the reason Soonyoung smiles.

6:12 pm.

"I'm not working tonight," Soonyoung says, opening the door for Jihoon on their way out of the building.

"Oh, okay. Good. Get some rest."

Soonyoung scoffs, "You could use it more than me."

Jihoon merely hums in response, sliding into the passenger seat of Soonyoung's car. But even once he's at the wheel, keys in hand, Soonyoung doesn't move to start the vehicle. He sits there, thinking, and Jihoon lets him.

"Come to my place."

" ... What?"

"Come over." Jihoon raises a hand to protest, trying to come up with a quick excuse not to go - even if he really wants to - but Soonyoung doesn't let him get a word out. "No, seriously! I've been told I have terrible taste in movies, maybe I can bore you to sleep."

Jihoon laughs under his breath, nervous at the prospect of watching movies with Soonyoung. He doesn't mention the fact that he thinks Soonyoung is too lovely to be boring.

"We see each other nearly every night, at this point. Don't you get sick of seeing me?"

Soonyoung's got a weird look on his face, mouth slightly open and eyes lighted when he says, "Of course not."