08

12:34 am.

"A real killer, huh?" is the first thing Soonyoung says once Jihoon's ordered and paid. He stands there, now, flushing while he watches the barista brew his tea. Of course he overheard, of course - it's not that Mingyu is particularly loud, but neither is the café itself, and every breath seems to travel a million miles - every embarrassing comment, reaching Soonyoung's ears, of all people.

Embarrassing. Flattering? No, no, definitely embarrassing.

"Just, ignore him," Jihoon mutters, tugging on his own fingers. Soonyoung exhales, the end of it turning up in something like a laugh before he speaks again.

"It's sweet."

"He's obnoxious."

"He's not wrong." 

He's not wrong ... He isn't?

Jihoon doesn't process the words, not right away, humming and nodding in response, and when he does -

He nearly chokes, eyes widening as his brain just about short circuits, and surely he misheard? Surely, he imagined it? Or maybe he didn't, and he's just overthinking the implication of three words so small - but he doesn't have time to consider that too much before Soonyoung passes the mug over to him; the latter's own cheeks are hot from the heat of the steam that curls into the air, and Jihoon can just barely get out his thanks before shuffling back to his seat.

"Don't - No, do not say a word," he grits out the second he sits, almost sick with embarrassment at the sight of Mingyu's face. The boy's cheeks are puffed slightly, lips pursed against the push of barely withheld laughter, and Jihoon's sure that if looks could kill, his roommate would be out on the floor by now.

"How did you even hear that? We were halfway across the room - you know what, it doesn't matter, you should've been minding your own business - "

"Please," Mingyu laughs. "When have I ever - "

"Shh!" Jihoon holds a finger to his lips, refusing to speak in anything above a whisper, and Mingyu's eyes squint against the force of his grin.

"You're whipped, Jihoon."

"Am not."

"Are too," he insists. "Whipped for someone you barely know. Not that there's anything wrong with physical attraction alone, I just never pinned you to be that type." Jihoon gapes, nearly wordless.

"I am not. I'm - I'm not - "

"Are you trying to tell me you don't have even just the tiniest crush on that guy? Because I don't buy that for a second. It's so obvious. I've seen you two interact maybe three times and I can tell - "

"You are insufferable," Jihoon huffs.

"And you're in denial."

"I just think he's cute."

"You just think he's cute?"

Maybe. Surely. Jihoon doesn't know Soonyoung, after all - and where's the sense in falling for someone you don't know? It's irrational.

He's just being irrational.