Chapter 6

Nearly all the StarKid’s piled into the hospital waiting room after receiving a worrying text from one, Joe Walker.

Hospital. Now. You need to come.

It was now 3AM and the StarKids once again, in their pyjamas met with Joe.

‘What is it, what’s wrong? It she okay?’ asked Dylan. Judging by the fact that Joe was smiling which they haven’t seen for a couple of weeks now, everything was fine.

‘She’s awake?’ asked Meredith. Joe nodded and gave her a big hug that soon turned into a group hug with all of the StarKids piling on top of each other. But the hug ended all too soon when Lauren’s doctor walked in. ‘Lauren is going to be fine. She is a bit confused as to what has happened; she doesn’t remember anything of the crash. But there is one thing, she keeps asking for you, Mr. Walker.’ If it was even possible, Joe’s smile grew bigger. ‘I suggest you be the first person to go and talk to her, alone.’ He winked at Joe. Even Lauren’s doctor could tell I have feelings for her? Wow... Joe thought.  ‘You may go see her now.’

‘Thanks doc!’ Joe gave him a big hug. ‘Thank-you, for everything.’ The doctor smiled as he watched Joe run up the stairs once again to room 409 but this time, Lauren will be awake. Joe rushed into the room to see Lauren sitting up. Joe let out a breath that he didn’t know he was holding. Lauren’s big brown eyes met blue for the first time in what felt like eternity. She smiled.

‘Hey.’ She whispered

‘Hi.’ Joe was trying to hold back the tears but he knew it wasn’t working too well. Joe walked over to her bed. And sat on the bed beside her.  ‘I missed you.’ He managed to get out. Lauren took his hand in her own.

‘I know.’ The smile never leaving her face, her eyes never leaving his.

‘You know?’

‘Yeah, it was really weird, when I was in the coma I could hear everything, I could tell that someone was holding my hand all night, every night.’ Joe’s smile faded. She heard everything? Does that mean she heard me talking about how I feel about her? Ah, fuck.

‘Lauren. What exactly did you hear?’

‘Well I heard from Joey that he spilt his coffee everywhere, no surprise there.’ Joe chuckled. ‘I heard Julia get frustrated over writers block, I heard Rosenthal watching and singing along to Glee.’ Lauren smile grew larger. ‘And I heard everything you said.’

Ah crap.

‘Why didn’t you tell me?’ Lauren asked.

Joe sighed. ‘I didn’t want to ruin our friendship. You and I, we have been best friends for years, since college. I didn’t want to ruin what we had. I didn’t want to lose you.’ Joe was looking down at the floor, scared to see the look on her face.

‘Walker, look at me.’ Joe did so. Lauren saw the tears in his eyes. ‘You are never going to lose me, okay?’

‘But you don’t feel the same way, therefore our friendship is now awkward.’

‘Walker.’ Lauren interrupted. ‘I love you. I always have, I don’t know where you got the idea that you were just a friend to me from but I can tell you now that you are much more to me than that.’ Lauren squeezed his hand harder.

Joe leaned in a kissed her softly on her lips trying his hardest not to knock any cords bruises on her face. After about ten seconds Joe pulled away resting his forehead on hers.

Lauren giggled.

‘What?’ Joe was confused.

‘We’re being so sappy-love-story…’ Joe laughed too.

‘I love you, Lauren.’

She smiled. ‘I love you too, Wox.’ Joe kissed her again, Lauren returned the kiss, smiling. They pulled apart. They saw through the window Joey, Brian Rosenthal, Brian Holden, Meredith, Jaime and Dylan all trying to take a peek at the couple. They laughed.

‘I think some people want to come and visit you, Lauren.’

‘Hmmm maybe, but I don’t know….’ Lauren teased.

‘Oh just let us in for fuck sakes!’ shouted Brian H

They both laughed once more as they saw Brian getting told off by a nurse for shouting and swearing.

‘I’ve missed your laugh.’ Joe moved a piece of her hair out of her face.

‘Thank-you Wox, for coming in every night, it means a lot to me.’ Joe kissed the top of her head.

‘Anytime.’ Joe kissed her once more and walked over to the window. ‘Okay, you guys can come in now!’

Meredith, Julia, Denise and Jaime all rushed into the room.

‘Hey, what about us!’ Rosenthal was shocked as he got pushed into the wall next to him.

‘hey, ladies first.’ Denise teased.

‘Plus, something huge just happened and we need a girl chat!’ Meredith called out as she and the rest of the girls placed themselves around the bed that Lauren was sitting in.

‘No respect.’ They heard Joey mutter as he closed the door giving the girls privacy.

‘So you and Walker, tell us everything!’ Jaime was basically jumping up and down in her chair in excitement.

‘Every little detail!’ Meredith said next.

Lauren told them everything, how she could hear while unconscious, what Joe said to her that made her mentally cry (considering that she couldn’t physically)

You need to wake up, okay? I need to hear your laugh, see that sparkle in your eye, feel your body against mine in a hug. I need to hear you yell at me for being too sappy-love-story. ‘Lo, you are the best thing that has ever and will ever happen to me, I know we are just friends but for some reason, fate or whatever I want to always be there for you. I want to be able to kiss you whenever I feel like, I want to be able to wake up next to you in the mornings, be able to point you out from across the room and say “That’s my beautiful girlfriend and I love her.” Right now I can only say half of that sentence. Please wake up, I can’t live without you.

To which the girls started tearing up.

‘See! What did I tell you? That boy loves you.’ Julia had tried to get her point across to Lauren for years and was quite proud the see that she was right.

Lauren looked out the window to where Joe was talking to Dylan, he seemed very happy.

‘I know.’ Lauren smiled she was so glad to be able to say “that’s my boyfriend and I love him.”