Chapter 1

She was so unlike the females I was accustomed to. Normally, people were so formal, so robotic around me. I was treated for what I was; an emperor. Everyone treated me with unquestioning respect, briefing me, escorting me, bowing down to me, treating me as if I was some untouchable power. And that's all I knew. That was my basic interaction. That was, until I met my friends.

Friends were not something I was accustomed to having. During my time as emperor, my focus remained solely on my training, studies, and the throne. The only close contact I've had were with my advisors and trainers, and those were merely under professional circumstances.

Alfor, Trigel, Blaytz, and Gyrgan had different impressions of me. They spoke toward me as a friend rather than an ally.

I'll admit, I didn't know how to react at first to the sudden affability but after several more missions with them, I gradually warmed up to them. I joined in their jokes, laughed with them, and confided in them for support. They became something I never thought I'd have; a family. A title, I'm afraid, I would never admit openly to them.

I stumbled adjusting to having friends, but I could never imagine how hard I'd fall when I fell in love. In fact, I thought I'd never achieve love. As I was brought up, I was taught that marriage was more for political gain rather than romantic. For the good of the empire, I had to seal away my own desires. I expected myself to fall into a loveless marriage with a noblewoman or diplomat, but instead, I found myself tied to Honerva.

She was unlike anyone I knew. My friends showed me how to care for others, but her? She showed me how to love. Not even intentionally, either. I couldn't even comprehend what love was until I set my eyes on her. I admired every aspect about her, from her incomparable beauty, to her remarkable intelligence.

When I announced my plans to propose to her, my advisors were quick to disagree. They argued that an Altean at my side would be seen as a liability, a fault in the foundation of the Galra empire, a disgrace to thousands of years of tradition. I understood traditions in my empire better than anyone, however, Honerva and my friends showed me that I didn't have to bend to customs.

And so here I was, with my one and only beloved. My clawed fingers gently stroked her cheek, pushing aside a stray lock of lavender hair to fully admire her face. She looked so at peace when she was asleep, so unlike her frantic self when wrapped up in a long day's work. Her lips slightly parted, her hair splayed around her face, free of her usual bun, and her chest rising and falling with each passing breath. No failed experiments to furrow her brow, no lost data to make her smile turn downcast, just the quiet to ease her slumber.

At my doing, her naked body was swaddled in blankets, her comfort and warmth always being my concern, especially when she slept. Ever since that one morning where I awoke to her pressed against my back for warmth, each night I ensured her comfort before I even considered the prospect of sleep.

My thumb gently traced over the crimson markings, earning a sleepy hum from the alchemist. I paused in my actions, waiting for her eyes to flutter open, to reveal her stunning golden irises, but she remained still.

These past few quintents she had refused sleep, claiming she was near a breakthrough with the quintessence experiments. I was just happy to see her getting some very much needed rest.

The soft hiss of the chamber door opening made me turn my head, my hand falling rather protectively over Honerva's torso. A short steward stood at the door, his head bowed, and his fist clenched in salute. Before he could open his mouth and wake her, I raised my hand to silence him. My gaze fell down to her once more, her small figure practically swimming in the massive bed. I leaned down to touch my forehead to her's in an informal farewell. "Sleep well, my love." I murmured before lifting myself from my kneeling position at the bedside, already dressed in my armor.