fifteen.

Dear Daisy,

     It was a white shoe box in your wardrobe. Down on the right. I picked it up and brushed the dust of it. It had a ‘for you’ written on the top of it. I shouted for mom and dad to come and they did. We sat on your bed and opened it slowly.

The treasure you left for us.

You know, I didn’t really expect you left money or something, but I didn’t really expect what I saw as well.

There was a folded paper, and dad picked it up and read it out loud. He struggled while reading it though. I’ve never seen daddy so weak and sad, Daisy. It was heartbreaking. And your letter, it was more heartbreaking.

“ Guys,

If you thought that I meant money or jewelry by saying treasure– you are very wrong. ­I don’t think that is really treasure. I think the real treasure I’m leaving behind, is love. And family. That is my real treasure to you.

Just, appreciate the life God gave you, okay? Don’t take it for granted or take anyone for granted because it can all disappear in a second. Take me as an example. I disappeared out of your lives in a second. I disappeared out of my life in a second.

 Be happy, mom.

 Be happy, daddy.

 Be happy, little Jasmine.

-Daisy.”

It had more. The box had more stuff, Dee. There were more stuff. The necklace dad gave you on your sixteenth birthday. The birthday card I wrote you when I was six. The scarf mom once made you. That t-shirt of yours that matched mine when we were kids. Memories, to sum it up.

I’m crying again, my tears are staining the paper again.

I love you, Daisy.

Love,

Jasmine.