Chapter Two: Survivors and The United

The sing-song voices of birds woke me from unconsciousness the next morning. I squinted as rays of sunlight prevented me from seeing my surroundings. I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes, looking around at where I lay. I was in some sort of camp, sitting on a sleeping bag in a far corner. People carried wood and water jugs to their tent, while little kids ran around with their toy cars and airplanes, completely neglected the zombie situation at hand. I stood up, but immediately went and laid back down, groaning in pain. My head was pounding.

   "Hitting your head off of a rock will do that to you." A light voice said from beside me.

  I turned to see a girl. She looked around my age, maybe even younger. She had dark brown hair that was up in a messy bun, and dark brown eyes, that showed nothing but kindness. She was a light tan color, dressed in black yoga pants with a zip-up hoodie and sneakers.

   "I'm Peyton Landon. Who are you? And what are you doing out here? Alone. How old are you? Where are your parents? Mine are in Washington D.C. They work with the -" The girl, Peyton, started, but was quickly cut off.

  "That's enough Peyton. Leave the girl alone. She just woke up, so let her have time to adjust before we throw questions at her." A deep, husky voice said.

  I looked over to see a boy, about eighteen-nineteen years old. He had black hair, that was in slight curls, and hazel eyes, that just by looking at them, made my knees weak. He was dressed in light washed jeans that was coated in dirt, a white t-shirt with a red and white plaid long-sleeved shirt over top of it, and dark black Timberland's. 

   "Sorry, Noah." Peyton said, slowly getting up and leaving, Noah watching her as she left.

  I quickly sat up and tried to tame my hair before he once again looked at me. I put my hair up in a bun and looked back at Noah, who was staring at me intently. 

   "What?" I said with a slight giggle. I mentally cursed for giggling, which probably made me look stupid.

  "Nothing, just, trying to figure you out." He said, scrunching his eyebrows together in confusion.

  I looked at him, now confused myself. "What do you mean?"

  "Who exactly are you? And what were you doing out there by yourself last night?" Noah asked, sitting on the ground next to me.

  I sighed, and turned to look at him. "I'm Gwen. I was out there last night because my family and I were attacked by a swarm of zombies, I ran, but my parents didn't make it." I said, silently praying that I wouldn't start crying in front of Noah.

  "Any siblings?" Noah asked, looking at me with a pity look, which I hated.

  "Nope. Only child. What about you? What's your story?" I asked, looking at him with a small smile.

  Noah chuckled. "Well, Gwenith, that's something that you will find out soon." He said, getting up and walking away.

  I, too, got up and ran after him. "Hey! One, my name is Gwen, not Gwenith, and two, what exactly is this place?" I asked, falling into step with him, which was hard because of his long legs, I'm only 5'1. 

  "This is The United. It's a camp for survivors. We are making our way to Washington D.C where we were promised a new start. There's not supposed to be any of the undead there. On our way there, we pick up as many survivors we can, because we hate to leave anybody, especially the young ones, behind." Noah said as we made our way to a table. Once there, he handed me a flask filled with water.

  I took a couple drinks and sighed as it ran down my throat. I didn't know I was this thirsty until now. Noah lightly chuckled and walked away, me following him after I sat the flask back down.

   "That's amazing," I said once I caught up to him," Who runs this camp anyway?"

  Noah bent down to a child, who was crying because of his broken car. Noah swiftly put the wheel back onto the kids car, who then ran away smiling. The sight warmed my heart and made me smile.

  "I do. It started with me finding all these helpless people struggling with their children and stuff, so I offered for them to come with me, and from there we just picked up as many people as we could." Noah said, beginning to walk off again.

  "How old are you?" I asked him.

  "Nineteen." Is what he replied before ducking under a flap to a tent.

  I stood there for a few moments, thinking over everything. Noah is suck a kind-hearted person for doing this, and only at nineteen years old? That's just awesome. Plus, he's hot and only three years older than me, so there's that. I guess I was standing out there for a few minutes, because Noah soon poked his head out again with a smile.

  "Are you coming or what?" He said, which caused me to laugh as a entered the tent.

  Not even a full day here, and Noah has made me smile more than I have these past few days.