02 • Million-Dollar Question

Jungkook could only watch helplessly as Lisa went through multiple emotional breakdowns for the past two hours

Jungkook could only watch helplessly as Lisa went through multiple emotional breakdowns for the past two hours. It looked like her loud sobs will not cease anytime soon.

Truth be told, he was also having a mental breakdown himself. But, he knew that between them two, someone had to stay calm and rational.

The two were in the dining area, where Lisa munched on some french fries. Tears continuously flowed from her swollen eyes and she wiped at them every second. Jungkook, on the other hand, busied himself with the guide book he had retrieved from the mailbox.

What a mess, he thought to himself as he carefully read each section of the thin book.

Over the years, he had had his fair share of fan horror stories. Fans following their vans after a show, fans crowding them inside an airplane, fans trying to get inside his hotel room, and the list went on and on. Too many incidents of such crazy obsession happened to him already that somehow, he grew desensitized to them. It was the price to pay for being a world-renowned idol and he had accepted this part of his life long ago.

Their kidnapper, however, was undoubtedly the worst sasaeng he had the misfortune to encounter. The details of their kidnap were brilliantly-constructed, he might just applaud whoever did it if only he was not the victim of the scheme.

"Jungkook..." a soft voice reached his ears.

The boy looked up from the book to gaze at his lone companion. Lisa's eyes were puffy and red, her cheeks were flushed and her lips a swollen pink. He couldn't believe that someone could look this cute after crying so much. "Yeah?"

"How do we know that our kidnapper isn't bluffing about letting us go when the month ends?" She sniffled.

"I honestly don't know."

Just like that, the girl curled up into herself and started sobbing again.

With a sigh, he poured some water into an empty cup and awkwardly handed it to her. "Lisa, drink this please... so you don't get dehydrated."

Growing up, Jungkook never learned how to comfort a weeping person, much less a girl. Getting Lisa some water was the only emotional support he was capable of giving at the moment and it made him feel useless. She took the cup with a muttered thanks before gulping it down in one go.

For a moment, the only thing he could hear was the faint sound of the ocean waves. Then, Lisa dropped the million-dollar question, "what do we do now?"

The boy frowned, his mouth mechanically making a slurping sound as he forced his brain to work, a habit he picked up from Min Yoongi.

In all honesty, he had been thinking about that all this time and he still could not come up with a decent answer.

Without a motorboat, they could not possibly survive traveling to the nearest inhabited island which, according to the guide book, was at least three hundred kilometres away. He also scoped out the beach house to search for anything valuable that could help them escape. So far, he couldn't find any.

On the bright side, he didn't see any surveillance cameras scattered around the house either, except for the one mounted on top of the television. But, it was turned off and not even connected to the electrical circuit, so that was at least something to be thankful for. Whoever their kidnapper is, at least they had the decency not to watch him and Lisa every second of the day.

Jungkook concluded that aside from waiting to be rescued, all they can really do was to stay on the good side of their kidnapper. The two could only hope that they will let him and Lisa go when their 30-day stay on the island was over.

"I say, we do what the kidnapper said in the letter. We explore the island, we get to know each other, and we just enjoy. It's not like we have a choice here, anyway."

Lisa gazed at him with unseeing eyes before slowly nodding in agreement. "You're right. Explore, get to know each other, and enjoy... yes, I think I can do that."

The boy could not help but smile a bit as he watched Lisa give herself a pep talk. Most importantly, he was just relieved that she wasn't crying anymore.

"I– I don't think I've properly introduced myself yet. I mean, we bump into each other during award shows and such, but I–," the girl then blurted out with a respectful bow. "I'm Lalisa Manoban of BLACKPINK. Please take care of me, sunbaenim."

"Let's just drop the honorifics, shall we? Or do you want me to call you noona?"

"Please don't! Lisa is fine, just call me Lisa."

"Alright. And you can just call me Jungkook, too. You calling me sunbaenim is making me feel so old when I'm younger than you," he kidded in a lame attempt to lighten up their mood.

"Just by a few months!" She scowled at him. But then, her lips formed a seemingly embarrassed smile. "Is it weird if I say that it's nice meeting you?"

"Yeah." The boy can't help but softly chuckle at the absurdity of their situation. Less than a day on the island and he was already going crazy, what more if he stayed there for a whole month with the girl thousands of fans shipped him with? "But, it's nice to officially meet you, too."

End of Chapter 2