service

you don't understand anything that is happening, but a lot of people are talking to you right now. doctors are talking about anxiety and you think you hear your mom say the pills aren't working. you've dealt with so much, why can't it just end already?
you close your eyes and try to drift back to sleep where you can be at peace but you hear a snap and you open your eyes, alert.
"hey, sorry, but this is important and you need to be here for this." you hear someone say.
you nod, even though you don't think it's important.
"so we were talking about your medication and after everything that has happened, we think increasing your medication would just make you more addicted, so we are discussing different things to do, just say yes if you like any of these."
you nod and try to understand what the person, you assume that it's the doctor, is saying.
"meditation."
"no." you slightly whisper.
"group therapy."
"no." that's even worse, you think.
"switching to a specialized school just for you."
"no."
you hear a sigh and the doctor comes right next to your bed, "you're gonna have to say yes to some of these. your medication isn't working and we need to find a way to solve this. you said that when you're by your friends, you feel safe and less anxious, but you can't be around them all the time. we need a way to fix this and if you have any ideas, please let us k-"
"how about a service animal." you say to stop the doctor from rambling on.
they stop, "and what would that do?"
you shrug, "i don't know. i just think that maybe a service dog would be a good companion that would always be by my side and when i get anxious i can hug them and love them forever."
the doctor doesn't respond but instead looks at your mom, "i think we should look into this."
your mom seems to nod and say something else, but you've already closed your eyes and drifted off to sleep, yet again. you hope you get a service dog.