2.The Proposal

"Hey, it is me. Anna. I need to talk to you. Meet me at the Buttered Bun cafe today at 6. Please. I am.... I'll explain. Please be there."
It was a voice message from Ana. And she never sends voice messages. Her voice sounded rushed and nervous. I get this weird feeling that something big has happened. Not bad, but big. I call her. The phone keeps on ringing. I must have called 10 times straight. I didn't understand what was wrong. She had been bubbly and chattery through the dinner last night. She had seemed normal.

I was sure I wouldn't survive till 6 pm. Eight whole hours I have to sit in my bedroom and wait. And waiting is not really my thing.

It is weird not to go to work. But I know I need some time to myself. I have already discussed it with HOH. They are prepared to offer me a lease of five months before I join work. They must be eager about me working with them. No other company would have granted so much of time. But I need some time to wrap my head around these sudden events. I guess I just have to do the best I can.

I'm happy I have some time to myself. I still miss LEC. I know it will take a lot of time to get comfortable at HOH. The ratings of the company are very high. I asked around. Even the neighbours who are completely clueless about manufacture and seem to spend most of their time craning over the low garden wall, spying on us, seem to approve of the quality.

I sigh and check my phone, perhaps, for the umpteenth time. There are no messages from Ana. I just can't wait until evening. I have never heard Annabelle Wright this confused and unsure before. She is the bold one, the party girl. I hear my dad out on the porch again, humming 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips.' I don't know why he's so obsessed with that song. Give me Claire De Lune anyday. I lean back on my bed, staring at the clock, begging the hands to move to 6o'clock.