CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: T&D Reunion

It was Friday night, and hordes of teens were bustling on the outskirts of Lake Linden for the annual harvest festival. Basically it was a glamorous lawn party on the Belmore Estate with sophisticated spreads sponsored by the local produce and a sugar coated networking opportunity for the crem de la crem. The orchard owners and savvy entrepreneurs.

Now the teenagers were there for very different reasons. The Belmore's knew how to be generous, and their daughter had them wrapped around their finger. And Jemma Belmore loved parties more than most.

Which is why her parents threw a huge party for her on the sideline to entertain her and her friends or other investors' children for the night, no expense spared.

So the cliff lawn sloping down to the lake and getty on one side were lit up with fairy lights and filled with chatter and buffet tables. Waiters spun around with balanced trays on their tipped tent fingers, serving exotic mocktails. A DJ set the atmosphere as the semi-formal dressed crowds mingled and churned.

"Is this party sizzling or what?" Jemma giggled as she bounced over to Lyla and Finn with Roy at her side.

"It's nice Jem, but I don't know if I'm totally feeling it," she plucked at her floral dress strap and donned a shamed face.

"I did invite Theara. Maybe we could try making amends with her," she leaned her head on Roy's shoulder and held his arm adoringly.

"I don't think she'll come. It is a very couple-y thing," Lyla gazed over to Levi and Isa sharing sweet looks.

"Yeah, well we will have to see. But Roy and I have to visit the buffet now. Then, the dance floor!" Jemma hollered and tagged a laughing Roy after her.

"You're pretty miffed about Theara," Finn tilted her chin up and gave a soft smile.

"I hurt her, Finn, and she was one of the few people who were good for me."

"If she really cared about you, she'll find it in her heart to hear you out when she is ready."

"Ugh, everything is a whole damned mess and I caused it."

"Well, I'm glad you're not doing it anymore. It was dangerous."

"I'm told I'm dangerous too," she smirked at him.

"Trust me, I know," he put an arm around her and lead her to a table.

At the far end of the fairy light canopy, Jake and his friends stood with drinks in hand. "I can't believe she hit you."

"Can't believe she thinks she is going to get away with it," he rubbed his jaw lightly, reminiscing the blow. "But it was kinda hot."

"Jake," a voice interrupted, and they turned to see a disheveled Ella. Even a nice tight dress couldn't keep her together. "We need to talk."

"Sure," he guided her to a secluded area. "I didn't expect to see you around so soon."

"My parents said I have to keep my chin up and show the world I won't be shaken."

"What... happened?"

"Theara. I know it was her," she shivered on a warm summer night, her mind haunted by what she had seen.

"What did she do?"

Ella shakily peeled back her sleeve to reveal burn marks on her forearm. It was like a hand of fire had gripped it. "She did a whole lot more than that. I've never been so scared in my life," she hugged herself and looked around warily.

"How did she do that?" he gave a baffled laugh.

"She's evil, Jake. That's how."

"So... why hasn't she been arrested for assault?"