dad Jack G BSM

Kate: 17
Jack : 23

jack walked into my room, what's he doing home?

"hey?" i said, it came out more like a question.

"hi, uh i was missing you guys so i thought i'd come by"

"you flew from LA to Omaha just 'to come by?' why didn't you call?"

"it's not the same and i wanted to see everyone, i'm going to see dad"

"okay let's go"

i parked the car and looked over at jack, he looked happy to be able to talk to dad again, we haven't seen him in a while.

we walked over to him.

jack and i looked at each other before we spoke.

"hey dad, it's uh it's been a while" he paused "how's heaven?"

i looked over at him as he spoke and he had tears in his eyes. i had them running down my face.

"me and johnson are still making music, i'm still chasing my dream, like you told me too"

"i wish you were still around to hear it. i hope that you would've liked it"

"i've been keeping my grades up so i can graduate at the top of my class and go to law school, just like you told me i should. i guess all the little arguments are gonna pay off soon" i let out a little chuckle and wiped my tears.

"it's still not the same without you, we all miss you so much but we're getting used to it i think" i paused to stabilize my breathing "i don't want us to get used it because then it means that we're okay without you. and we're not, i miss you daddy"

i started sobbing, i was staying strong until now.

jack wrapped his arms around me and i collapsed into him.

"she's right, we miss you so much. i love you but i think i need kate home"

he picked me up and carried me back to my car and set me in the passenger seat. he went around to the driver seat and started the car.

before he could drive away, i remembered the flowers in the back seat.

"don't go!"

"what? what's wrong?"

"dad's flowers"

"okay let's go"

"no, i got it"

i grabbed them and headed back towards his grave.

i leaned down and set them in front of his headstone

David Gilinsky
October 20 1963—July 17 2018
loving husband and father

"goodbye daddy"