Chapter 22

You approached Leah the next morning. She gazed up at you, surprised. Elliott spoke first. "Leah, we have something to tell you."

"And That is....?" Elliott glanced at you and you blushed.

"Elliott and I went on a little boat trip the other day," you began and Elliott encouraged you to continue. "And on it we... we... kissed." Leah's eyes widened before she before off into a fit of excited giggles.

"I knew it! I knew you both liked each other, even if you weren't aware of it!" Both Elliott and you blushed.

"Y-you did?" Elliott stammered. Leah gave him a look.

"You'd think I'd notice when you started ignoring me for her and not to mention the 'my flower' and 'fair maiden'," she replied. "So you kissed.... so now......?"

"We're, we're dating," you replied, smiling. Leah giggled again. You and Elliott looked at each other. "We'd been keeping secret and you're the first person we've told." Leah smiled.

"I have to tell people!" She bolted off. Elliott turned toward you.

"I told you she'd relay the message." You smiled.

"You sure did." Elliott grinned.

"I can just see the headline now.... and it'll be a good one."

"Did you say you wonder what farm life's like, because you had feelings for me?" Elliott bashfully looked away.

"Yes."

"Hm." That thought stayed in the back of your mind.

~~~~

When winter was finished, the first day of spring was raining. You put on the rain jacket and headed to Elliott's. He opened the door. "Oh.. Y/N! Come in!" He walked over to his writing desk. "I wrote about our time on the boat in my new story," he said.

"Oh cool! I guess your new book is a sort of autobiography?" Elliott gave you a look.

"Seriously? You didn't get that from the Y/N chapter?" You blushed.

"I did.... suspect it but wasn't sure." He smiled.

"That's fine." You walked over to the chapter.

"Can I read it?"

"Go ahead."

"Okay." You began reading,"Eventually I plucked up the courage to tell her how I felt and I decided to fix the old boat by my house. I sent her a note to join me for a voyage. She obliged.  When she got into the boat she asked me if it was safe and I assured her. I kept wanting to tell her things as we travelled. I eventually stopped the boat and she asked me why and I wanted to answer but I couldn't. I first talked about my book to help me calm my nerves that had sprung up but it didn't calm them. Then I attempted to tell her my feelings, but I was having quite hard time. Eventually I just decided to do it the easiest way. I leaned forward until our lips touched in a kiss. I saw her blink and blush scarlet and she started trembling. I asked her about and I'll never forget her reply. 'I'm just really h-happy.'" You blushed but smiled. "That was so sweet!" You walked over to him and gave him a peck.

You left his house,and crossed the bridge. The man was here again, but this time he spoke to you,"I can see it in ye eyes miss, you're head over heels in love. I've got this here pendant. Give this to the special." You paid for the shell and walked to your house. You realized something.

"This is a Mermaid's Pendant.... it's used to.... to.... propose marriage...."