IX

l

Gray
             I smiled seeing the frozen look on Bree’s face. It’s not a killer sort of smile like she usually had before she kills someone (she never even realized it). It was one of my sweetest smiles but I guess she sees it in a different light.
Bree has been my secret obsession. Then and now. I hid it well. Only Jenzy knew in her very last moments. I know about it all. Basically everything about her, except that tidbit of info about her sister. That was why I was shocked seeing that sketch pad. I never even guessed the truth behind Riley’s death. Even her sister… my Bree was really amazing…exceptional. I witnessed it, two of her so-called crimes. Barry’s and Rebecca’s murder.
It started in middle school. Right after she killed Barry Quinn. I was one of Barry’s friends, one of the few who would stick with a bully like him. And I was one of the few he couldn’t bully. I was a son of a cop after all and trained enough. I didn’t think Bree recognizes me from years before. She didn’t. I was non-existent to her. But I know of her. Barry had a serious crush for her. We all knew it as his friends. He tried to show it to her at first using a more conventional means but I didn’t think Bree even noticed. She was immersed in her own world even as a child. To her, nothing existed outside her plane of interests. That caught was what caught my attention about her at first. Barry then decided to use a more aggressive method. And it worked. Bree finally noticed him. But not in a good way. I was the one closest to Barry. He told me that day he died about the muffins Bree gave him. He was too ecstatic even when he tried hard not to show it.  And then he died. They said it was because of food poisoning. At first I didn’t give it much thought that time, believing the teachers.  But then I began thinking about the muffins he received that day.  Coincidence? I had my suspicions after that. I was young in my age to think about murders and stuffs but my dad was a cop. Instinct was telling me that there was nothing more to it even if it seemed impossible for an innocent looking girl to commit murder at that young age. I informed no one this. Just because. Even if my suspicions proved true, I was not afraid. It was actually, strangely fascinating. I monitored Bree after that. She was a contradiction to me. I can sense no evil from her, nothing at all but I knew, instinctively, that there was something different about her. I never confirmed my suspicions. But as I continued to observe her, she became a new sort of fixation to me.
We finished middle school and suddenly my fascination to Bree turned into something deeper. So when we reached high school and made it in the same class, I knew I had to be close to her. Without a doubt this time.  But not without cost as it turned out. And the cost was myself.  I chose the cowardly way and so I ended up with Jenzy, who was obviously crushing on me that time. And my Bree… who remained clueless through all this, had been painfully supportive of me and her best friend. She had that effect of me. Bree I mean. To run away with my tails curled behind my back whenever she turned that unblinking stare of hers to me. And I was reduced to a stuttering fool. It took me quite a while to recover from that and could talk to her normally without being so obvious. Did you ever with your crush?
Being with Bree through Jenzy was pure bliss. I got to know her and talked to her about almost everything. She was unsurprisingly knowledgeable about many things. What interesting were her opinions and comments. She never had without a say about whatis and whatnots. I enjoyed talking to her and I did not realize that I’d fallen more deeply. Until just being close to her was no longer enough. I never had the perfect timing to break free and pull it off.
It all started because of Seth Matthias. Bree never paid attention to any guys. Was never interested. Thank goodness. I did my work too. I made sure to barricade her without being so obvious, and I did manage to secretly threaten several guys who planned to make their way to her. Seth Matthias was another thing. He was good I give him that. He successfully managed to avoid my protection. I would never find it out if Bree never left her phone one fateful day that summer in one of our hang outs places. She was never a fan of passwords. The sand bag in our gym witnessed my rage that time when I found out that they were together. I literally ruined it as I worked out my anger into it.  And that was when I made my move.
It was I who secretly told Loreen about Seth’s involvement with Bree. And together we made the plant. It was I who provided her the aphrodisiac powder she used to drug Seth and it was I who took the picture of them together in bed. I made sure she kept my involvement about all of that.  She was such a simple person. Like a cat when you feed them something good, they can be manipulated quite easily. Bree and Seth broke up. It was a success. My success. But Loreen took all the brunt herself, unfortunately. Bree did not disappoint.
I did not witness Loreen’s death but I knew it was Bree who did it. Circumstances that only the four of us knew pointed to her. Seth was so stupid to think beyond that. Just to be sure I watched him for a few days until I was sure that he suspected nothing. I was not sickened by what she did, it only confirmed my suspicions. Just a little surprised for the unexpected move after such a long time. Maybe Bree was not the only sick one. I was sick too. For not being repulsed by a murder in the hands of my beloved. Shame on me being a cop’s son. I was actually thrilled about it all. I was worried after Loreen’s murder that Bree will be named the suspect, but she luckily pulled it off flawlessly.